WB Infinitia 275 Build Thread - I'm Back Baby

brian222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sump is nice but I may consider some
changes in the future. I’m not sure if I’ll use filter socks the entire time. Otherwise it’s excellent. I don’t actually use the auto top off tank. I use it as a coral quarantine tank in another room. I have ATO and auto wanted changes set up through the wall in the basement.

Nice setup! I removed the socks section from my WB Peninsula 6025 sump and I have been using Clarisea SK5000, definitely amazing as no more filter socks clean forever :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
Kactai

Kactai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup! I removed the socks section from my WB Peninsula 6025 sump and I have been using Clarisea SK5000, definitely amazing as no more filter socks clean forever :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
That’s amazing…. Was it a lot of work? Did you just have to cut out the sock holder?

brian222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s amazing…. Was it a lot of work? Did you just have to cut out the sock holder?
I have spent more time than I expected to completely remove both buffers, WB definitely did a great job on the construction of their sump, there is not much space between glass panels so I tried a few different methods to remove all silicon, razor blades worked very well for me but you have to do it slowly if you decide to go with the roller mat path.

I ended up spending the entire weekend removing socks and creating custom plumbing for my roller mat, I would say it is totally worth it as my goal is to build a heavy input-heavy output system, so it is not realistic to swap filter socks every 2 days or so (also I HATE cleaning filter socks) :grinning-face-with-sweat:

1680754349187.png

1680754208362.png
1680754222165.png

1680754246862.png

\

OP
OP
Kactai

Kactai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it when a plan comes together.

seeding the rock with PODs and bottle bacteria in totes over the last month J’s totally paid off. 4 days with rocks and sand in the tank and pods are all over the glass.

My first batch of fish come in Tuesday. They will be in copper for 15 days with 2 doses of metro about a week apart all done at the LFS by my top notch fish guy Chris Lesvesque @strictly scales. Then they come home for 2 weeks observation.

Time to get the coral QT up and running I guess.

OP
OP
Kactai

Kactai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohhhhh yeah! Part of the invert clean-up crew is in QT.

C3F50BBA-C63C-4A2A-8327-BC112621C443.jpeg
478B8E35-9318-462B-BCAB-B1FAEBE18A93.jpeg
2CD65C64-AF95-4356-BA01-8F470091265A.jpeg
Qt is a seeded 30 gal tank with HOB filter and cured rock. Lots of pods.

2 turbo snails - not my first choice
5 Netrite snails
3 blue leg hermit crabs
2 fire shrimp

Attachments

• 66F8AC72-677C-4BEC-992D-D975BCEA0FF6.jpeg
    66F8AC72-677C-4BEC-992D-D975BCEA0FF6.jpeg
    134.2 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
Kactai

Kactai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank! If I were you I’d add many more snails
Oh yeah! This is probably only 1/5 of my total clean up crew. I’ll probably end up at 30-40 snails, 8-10 hermit crabs, an urchin, a few conchs and a sea cucumber. Probably Al other cleaner shrimp or two as well.

It’s just a start to prep for my first small batch of Qt’ed fish.

OP
OP
Kactai

Kactai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so it’s been almost a month. No fish yet.

My guy got shipments a few weeks apart and rather than run two batches through QT he decided to wait and do them all together. That means next weekend in 15 days of treatment.

Here is my stocking list:

In QT - to be added to display in 2-3 groups

Red head fairy wrasse
Fire fish
Damsels - azure & springeri
Clowns - midnight storm
Red spot blenny
Yellow watchman goby
Two spot goby - eating frozen in Qt
Powder blue (to be added later)
Scopas
Fox face

FOR LATER
Scooter blennie
Mandarin - TBD
Fairy wrasse - TBD
Halicores wrasse - TBD
Purple tang or mimic tang
Masked Swallowtail Angel

INVERTS - for later
Pistol shrimp to pair
Porcelain crab - blue
Nassarius snails
Conch
Sea cucumber

Any suggestions are appreciated

oh I did a huge coral rescue! See next post!

OP
OP
Kactai

Kactai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral Rescue!!!!

A mutual friend purchased a fully stocked 120g reef tank with the intention of turning it into a fish only. He went and picked everything up and put the corals in totes and buckets.

This is where I came in. My friend called and said one of his buddies was in the middle of a tank move and could use some help. So I zip over there and lend a hand getting the tank filled back up. Then he asked If I wanted all of the coral. I was overwhelmed and blown away. I’m talking a basketball size colony of acro, some frogspawn, a huge wall hammer and so on and so forth.

I cut what I could off the rock and took it home. It was such an amazing score.

IMG_5297.jpeg
IMG_5294.jpeg IMG_5291.jpeg IMG_5283.jpeg IMG_5207.jpeg IMG_5204.jpeg IMG_5202.jpeg IMG_5190.jpeg
I offered a bit of money and paid $250 for everything.

It’s been in the fallow tank and QT for like 35 days now.

Fish come in 7 days and go into QT for 15 days.

Colonies in the display went in with no rock or frag plugs so I’m fairly confident that with a 55 day fallow period at over 80 degrees it will be a successful quarantine.

Attachments

• video.m4v
    1.9 MB

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral Rescue!!!!

A mutual friend purchased a fully stocked 120g reef tank with the intention of turning it into a fish only. He went and picked everything up and put the corals in totes and buckets.

This is where I came in. My friend called and said one of his buddies was in the middle of a tank move and could use some help. So I zip over there and lend a hand getting the tank filled back up. Then he asked If I wanted all of the coral. I was overwhelmed and blown away. I’m talking a basketball size colony of acro, some frogspawn, a huge wall hammer and so on and so forth.

I cut what I could off the rock and took it home. It was such an amazing score.

IMG_5297.jpeg
IMG_5294.jpeg IMG_5291.jpeg IMG_5283.jpeg IMG_5207.jpeg IMG_5204.jpeg IMG_5202.jpeg IMG_5190.jpeg
I offered a bit of money and paid $250 for everything.

It’s been in the fallow tank and QT for like 35 days now.

Fish come in 7 days and go into QT for 15 days.

Colonies in the display went in with no rock or frag plugs so I’m fairly confident that with a 55 day fallow period at over 80 degrees it will be a successful quarantine.
Lucky haha

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so it’s been almost a month. No fish yet.

My guy got shipments a few weeks apart and rather than run two batches through QT he decided to wait and do them all together. That means next weekend in 15 days of treatment.

Here is my stocking list:

In QT - to be added to display in 2-3 groups

Red head fairy wrasse
Fire fish
Damsels - azure & springeri
Clowns - midnight storm
Red spot blenny
Yellow watchman goby
Two spot goby - eating frozen in Qt
Powder blue (to be added later)
Scopas
Fox face

FOR LATER
Scooter blennie
Mandarin - TBD
Fairy wrasse - TBD
Halicores wrasse - TBD
Purple tang or mimic tang
Masked Swallowtail Angel

INVERTS - for later
Pistol shrimp to pair
Porcelain crab - blue
Nassarius snails
Conch
Sea cucumber

Any suggestions are appreciated

oh I did a huge coral rescue! See next post!
Just me but I would do the Purple instead of the Scopas and then you don’t have to pick between the purple or a mimic. What mimic do you have in mind?

OP
OP
Kactai

Kactai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just thinking the classic lemon peel. Who knows though. Availability is always tricky here in the great Canadian north.

OP
OP
Kactai

Kactai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked our first group! They finish QT next weekend.

Ended up with two storm clowns, Solon fairy wrasse and a springeri damsel.

OP
OP
Kactai

Kactai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first 4 fish are in the tank. Along with a nice green wall hammer colony that spent 45 days in QT at 81 degrees. The SPS colonies are doing amazingly awesome! New tips growing on all of the bits that were broken off.

Could use some help to ID them though - started a thread here:

It’s been pretty good so far. No issues. Dosing almost 1 liter of Kalk water and 60 ml of ESV 2 part every day. Alk is low. I underestimated the demand of the sps colonies so I’ve been playing catch up for weeks. From 4.0 a few weeks ago to 5.5 this past weekend.

I’m not all set up yet for auto water changes simply because I’m making water for the fish and coral QTs.

I also have 5 more fish in QT.

Two spot bristletooth
Azure damsel
Fire fish
Watchman goby
Leopard wrasse (seeded pods months ago and feed phyto)

I also have a pistol shrimp and cleaner shrimp in the coral QT with some nassarius and Trocus snails. Corals in QT are a couple millepora (peach and sunset), a wowzer frag, a dragon soul torch and some blue eyed ***** zoas.

Lots of stuff in the tube.

OP
OP
Kactai

Kactai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, hit my first snag. The second group of fish that included a blue eye bristletooth tang somehow snuck flukes through the QT. I ordered a fish trap and now I get to start trapping and treating all 9 fish.

It happens so it’s all good!

Frag tank looks awesome right now though. Got a few torches, a chalice, a huge orange tongue coral, some high end SPS and some Zoas.

IMG_5607.jpeg IMG_5635.jpeg IMG_5634.jpeg IMG_5636.jpeg

OP
OP
Kactai

Kactai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, new update! I caught the fish and fresh water dipped. Nothing came off and no stringy poop. Turns out I got a little paranoid.

But the challenges continue. The tang has now chased 3 fish out of the tank within two days. Both wrasses and the watchmen goby made it out of the top. All three are dead.

In response I went ahead and put together my DIY mesh top kit from Red Sea. Good god does this thing suck. Lol it’s not easy. The screen went on all wavy a loose and it looks like trash on my tank. I’m strongly considering dropping the money for a custom lid.

Sailfin tang and blue star leopard wrasse in QT. No new fish in the display until I can figure out my lid situation though.

OP
OP
Kactai

Kactai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things went swimmingly for a bit…. Then some of my SPS fears started to look less than stellar - retracting polyps, going pale and no growth. I started looking into it and tested all my parameters…. No issues there. Changed out all of my RODI cartridges, recalibrated my pH probe and my réfractomètre…. And wouldn’t you know my refractometer was way out of calibration….. salinity was up around 1.028-1.029 and my pH was swinging from 8.2 to 8.5.

I’m slowly bringing the salinity down and have moved away from having kalk in my ATO. Move to dosing 1500 ml kalk at night and ESV 2 part during the day.

Things are calming down but I’m still having bad luck with fish. My fire fish got some sort of eye infection and passed away in WT while I was waiting for Erthromycin to come in.

I’m also starting to see some algae growth on the sand which leads me to believe that it’s time to implement my nutrient control. Still haven’t figured that out yet…. I was gonna go with a macro algae refugium but I’m also considering bio-bricks and carbon dosing. I know nutrients are there but I’m still getting 0’s for nitrate and phosphate on my Salifert tests.

If anyone has suggestions re: refugium or carbon dosing I’d love to hear your thoughts!

OP
OP
Kactai

Kactai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been a while since I’ve updated. The tank is 8-9 months old. I’ve had some challenges including a watchman goby that jumped and a fairy wrasse too so I put a lid on.

Then the sps in QT looked like they had redbugs. So I panicked again and did a bayer dip on all corals. Well I must have dipped a bit too long, made the dip too strong or let the dip get too cold because I nuked my entire frag/QT tank. Bleached everything, let dry and did a hard reset. New batch of frags went in the next weekend.

Meanwhile the display tank is thriving. My Hydros controller is better than I could have dreamed. Water changes at the push of a button are amazing

Changed to Fauna Marin salt and it’s pretty good so far. Still learning lots along the way even though I’ve been in the game for a while. Mistake, learn, new mistake incoming. 361D3CD8-1D88-4DB7-8384-CF7F288A39C6.jpeg

I have a green spotted mandarin in QT right now and he should be good to go in the display shortly.

And this is a Melanarus Wrasse at the LFS
Nice fish

Attachments

• IMG_6560.jpeg
    IMG_6560.jpeg
    149.3 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
Kactai

Kactai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering changing up my aquascape. I think the right side is too high so I want to cut some down. There are also some shelves and branches I want to cut out to allow the corals to grow into those spaces.

Would you take the rock structures out? Or just do some trimming in the tank?

They are all glued, epoxied or cemented together. Lowering the high points will likely be the hardest.

IMG_6142.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back