Webcam on QT - Bad Idea

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Man - a bit off topic - but hooking up a webcam to look at my QT was a horrible idea. Now I just leave it open and check it all the time to make sure the lone fish in there is swimming around and acting as normal as can be in black & white grainy footage.

Can't get enough of it.

Save yourself.

Don't do it.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same goes for setting one up on your DT. It always ends up with a lot of work NOT getting done lol. Putting one on your QT could result in paranoia as well!

OP
OP
bevo5

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What do you mean paranoia? This looks perfectly fine...nothing to start worrying about here...:)

Dn02AxQ.png

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 on my display tank but they are all full color with night vision 1080p. It is like I'm at the fish tank looking at them.

OP
OP
bevo5

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have 3 on my display tank but they are all full color with night vision 1080p. It is like I'm at the fish tank looking at them.

Yeah - what camera do you use? I just turned one of my home security cameras to face the tank. It's really low tech. I'd love to get one that could keep up with the motion of the tank a bit more - and it would be fun to link to APEX.

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah - what camera do you use? I just turned one of my home security cameras to face the tank. It's really low tech. I'd love to get one that could keep up with the motion of the tank a bit more - and it would be fun to link to APEX.

So the one that is in my sump is linked to my apex. It is a off brand foscam it uses the same interface, mine is tenvis I've had it for 3 years now. It even moves like 270 degrees. The other two on the tank side are again off brand but come with a app that is so easy you don't need to know anything about computers. Just scan the bottom of the camera and it will preset your router to allow viewing from outside the house. I haven't looked to see if these can work with apex but sure there is a way. They even have 2 way talking so if you want to talk to your fish you can lol.

Here is a link to Ebay for ones I have on the sides. I have two in the garage, and six out side the house. I even setup a separate email account to just monitor my house as well as server that uploads files to cloud storage everytime change is made. Deletes all data older than 6 weeks as I figure if I need to see something it's going to be only a couple days old.

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/181688545641

OP
OP
bevo5

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Awesome. Thanks for the link. I might pick one up and give it a try. I like the idea of putting one near the sump.

See y'all. Started the thread as a joke about qts and picked up some good advice. Great site.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back