Weird black marks in yellow tang eyes

ziczac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I was battling an ich outbreak with cupramine. Luckily all the fish survived after the 30 days treatment. Right now it's day 16 of observation copper free. All fish seems fine except for my yellow tang. He's still eating but has been very inactive. He was the most active/aggressive fish before the ich outbreak. Right now he barely moves, just kind of floats around or swims very slowly. His body looks fine, no markings or white dots reappearing. He's still feeding but definitely lost weights. His eyes look very strange with black marks in both of them. I attached a couple of pictures. Is it some kind of disease or infection? If so what's the best way to treat him?

Thank you!
IMG_3354.JPG
IMG_3596.JPG
IMG_6988.JPG

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has he been out of copper?

I'm wondering if the general toxicity of the copper was just beginning to get to him - hoping that he begins to recover.

Perhaps @Humblefish or @4FordFamily can offer some insight into the dark marks in his eyes.

~Bruce

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has he been out of copper?

I'm wondering if the general toxicity of the copper was just beginning to get to him - hoping that he begins to recover.

Perhaps @Humblefish or @4FordFamily can offer some insight into the dark marks in his eyes.

~Bruce
Wow I’ve never noticed such a thing... I’m not much help here.. :(

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that is very strange. You say the black marks are inside both eyes? In the exact same spot in both eyes? :confused:

OP
OP
Z

ziczac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

The yellow tang has been out of copper for 17 days. The black marks are inside both eyes but they are not identical. I'm pretty sure they just appeared recently. I feel like he's blind too since he's not reacting to my hand movements. Is there anything I should do or just wait and see? I guess one good thing is that he's still eating (just not as much as before and maybe due to his blindness?)

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full or partial blindness might go some way towards explaining his reduced swimming, as well.

Would you say he's getting enough food to sustain him, or not enough?

~Bruce

OP
OP
Z

ziczac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched him eat today and he did not get any food. He got excited for the smell but failed to get any of them. What's the best way to care for a blind fish that's already in the quarantine tank?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From all I've heard, blind fish - completely blind fish - are difficult.

You might try nori or something like Easy Reef's "Masstick" product, which mixes up into a paste that you could press into a bit of liverock - or even onto the glass - near one of his favorite areas, where he can hunt it by smell, rather than sight.

~Bruce

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 73 47.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 49 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back