Weird bulge thing on wrasses eye

oliverout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys I have a McCosker's wrasse and today I realized he was sitting on the sand bed and I thought nothing of it then I fed to see if he would swim again and I saw this bulge thing on his eye.

Attachments

• IMG_6728.MOV
    29.8 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys I have a McCosker's wrasse and today I realized he was sitting on the sand bed and I thought nothing of it then I fed to see if he would swim again and I saw this bulge thing on his eye.

That's called exophthalmia, or "popeye". When it is in just one eye like this, it is typically due to a strike injury. If it shows up in both eyes, especially in multiple fish, then it is usually caused by supersaturation of gas in the water.

For single eye exophthalmia, it sometimes gets better on its own (takes weeks though). Sometimes, there is a secondary bacterial infection involved, and then you would need to move the fish to a treatment tank and dose it with Erythromycin (Maracyn 1). Remember though, simply netting up a fish can cause additional trauma to the eye, so there is some risk in moving the fish.

jay

OP
OP
O

oliverout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's called exophthalmia, or "popeye". When it is in just one eye like this, it is typically due to a strike injury. If it shows up in both eyes, especially in multiple fish, then it is usually caused by supersaturation of gas in the water.

For single eye exophthalmia, it sometimes gets better on its own (takes weeks though). Sometimes, there is a secondary bacterial infection involved, and then you would need to move the fish to a treatment tank and dose it with Erythromycin (Maracyn 1). Remember though, simply netting up a fish can cause additional trauma to the eye, so there is some risk in moving the fish.

jay
Thank you. So do you think I should just keep him in the main tank for now and try for him to heal up on his own? Also is it normal for them to sometimes lay down on the sand bed with this?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. So do you think I should just keep him in the main tank for now and try for him to heal up on his own? Also is it normal for them to sometimes lay down on the sand bed with this?
The laying on the sand bed could be another issue (not sure what though). For the eye though, as long as it is eating well, I would just observe it for now.
Jay

OP
OP
O

oliverout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The laying on the sand bed could be another issue (not sure what though). For the eye though, as long as it is eating well, I would just observe it for now.
Jay
Ok thanks. He doesn't normally lay on the sand bed it started with the eye thing. Maybe he is trying to hide or something like that since he knows something's wrong

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks. He doesn't normally lay on the sand bed it started with the eye thing. Maybe he is trying to hide or something like that since he knows something's wrong
Fish with injured eyes will often put that up against absolute surface so that they don’t get blindsided by something. Could that be the case here?
Jay

OP
OP
O

oliverout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish with injured eyes will often put that up against absolute surface so that they don’t get blindsided by something. Could that be the case here?
Jay
Yes that sounds accurate, he sits in this area where he only looks out his good and he cannot get attacked from his injured eye.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 15.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 76 47.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 51 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back