"Wellness Room" At Petco? Someone explain?

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes I'd go to Petco, and I find nearly dead bettas. They would often let me take them home for nothing so I can cure them and give them to friends or keep them.

Today, they refused to let me have a betta, saying they need to go to the "Wellness room".. when clearly one was just about dead. I asked them about the Wellness room, and they won't tell me anything about it. I even asked if its a place to destroy the fish, if it is, just give me the fish. They won't respond to that either.

Can someone tell me what this Wellness room is and if it's really there to help fish and other small critters they have?

JBradford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something seems fishy......pun intended.

No really I've never heard of such a thing at Petco.

Pongo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Petco often has a tank with a sign on it "under observation, not for sale".
It's where good fish go to die.

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is odd, which is why I want to find out more. is it just this petco that has such a "room", or is it something new being rolled out in all stores?

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That nuts never heard of it I would wait a couple days and call and ask so maybe you will talk to somone different and see what they have to say about it

dysfam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They just relabel the restroom to the wellness room!

eleet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to work for petco. The wellness room is where any sick animals go. They actually do get vet care if needed. Even feeder mice. Which honestly made no sense to me.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some Petcos I've dealt with have a bonafide "hospital tank" they hide in the break room.

Whether they're allowed to use copper, herbal remedies or do nothing at all is completely at the discretion of the store manager. Or until the District Manager walks in and shuts the hospital tank down. ;)

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt there is some grand conspiracy among Petco employees to hide sick fish and allow them to perish out of sight from customers. The vast majority of Petco employees that I interact with seem caring and compassionate.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt there is some grand conspiracy among Petco employees to hide sick fish and allow them to perish out of sight from customers. The vast majority of Petco employees that I interact with seem caring and compassionate.

To clarify ... The HT in the break room is Petco employees attempt to treat the fish (as best they can), rather than let them die in the retail system.

I agree Petco has some caring and compassionate employees, who are shackled by corporate rules & policies.

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one guy in the fish department is amazing. he takes care of the fish and knows what he's doing. he had worked in a LFS prior so he has knowledge. When he came to this store, he dramatically turned around the fish department. now the fish looks happy and healthy

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To clarify ... The HT in the break room is Petco employees attempt to treat the fish (as best they can), rather than let them die in the retail system.

I agree Petco has some caring and compassionate employees, who are shackled by corporate rules & policies.

Oh I know Humble that is how I was interpreting your post.

I was addressing the silliness that employees were taking fish to a room or dumpster and disposing of them rather then trying to save them or treat them. That is too much of a blanket or broad brush ideal/statement that most employees do not deserve.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have seen hospital tanks in PetCo's but only the ones that have a hobiest as a care taker. Most do not. As Humble mentions it's usually a district manager that ends these types of things because it makes other stores look bad rather than thinking the opposite. It really is a shame.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 45 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.4%
Back