OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea a guy has the 48" 250w with the t-5's for $650 shipped brand new never been used for sale pretty close to me..

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The thing is I dont know if I want open top or want to use my canopy...

I wonder of they build legs for these??

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

salt newbie01

CRC Flunky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know Dave - I don't think you would be very happy with the colors under 13k. I also don't think t5's or vho actinic are strong enough to offset the 13k color. Just something to think about --

I know the giesemann lights are way nice but they are wicked axpensive as well. Thknk you could do a lot better for a lot less. JMO

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
isn't that a DE fixture? if so......i'd pass.....

Sam.....if i recall.....chris has allot of mixed feelings about his lighting fixture from geisman.......it took him several tries before he finally found a bulb he liked (pheonix 14k). but even then, there aren't many choices for good DE bulbs. the fixtures builds up ALLLLLLLLOT of heat. during the summer he had a huge fan aimed at the fixture over the tank. i think he's also broken every metal halide bulb while trying to remove it from the socket.

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh yeah, geisman 13k DE bulbs are YELLOW.....lol ;) i absolutely hate geisman DE bulbs.....they are probably my biggest pet peeve in lighting. even their 20k looks closer to 12k IMO.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the advice. I was only about 10% interested in this light and after thinking about it, looking up info, and your input I think I will pass. Most of it due to the fact that I am only about $300 off from what I originally planned on for my tank lighting and the fact that I probably would hate the 13k lights.

The wife wants the canopy on as well so thats the main reason...LOL! Not really, well kinda....;)

salt newbie01

CRC Flunky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go SE and get the Radium 20k!! Those zoas/palys will POP right outta that tank!! I agree stay away from the 13K's!!! You have seen brandon'd and bryan's tanks under the phoenix 14k's - they look awesome!

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't there another Giesemann fixtures with 4T5s? I think things will look nicer with 4, then 2. Also when I was researching Giesemann fixtures, few people mentioned how difficult it is to get technical support for them just in case anything goes wrong. I still think it's an awesome fixture and would buy one if I had the funds.

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go SE and get the Radium 20k!! Those zoas/palys will POP right outta that tank!! I agree stay away from the 13K's!!! You have seen brandon'd and bryan's tanks under the phoenix 14k's - they look awesome!

only way i'd run radiums on a tank the size of Rev's.....is by going with the HQI ballast. (mostly b/c he wants at least the top half of the tank to be sps). only prob with that is having to replace the bulbs every 6 months.

IMO i just don't think radiums on electronic ballasts on a tank that big will give you enough "umph" to support that much SPS in a tank that big.

i still think rev's best bet is to go with 250w ICECAP electronic ballasts. get a nice reflector to put inside the canopy built for SE bulbs. maybe some lumenarcs or PFO parallel reflector. and then go with either Hamilton 14k bulbs (cheap), or Aquaconnect 14k bulbs (expensive....but a PAR monster).

then supplement with some T5 or VHO actinics (whichever he has a preference for).

you can't go wrong with SE.....lots of good bulb choices on electronic ballasts.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well my original plan was running (2) 250w Hamilton 14k's with (2) 48" actinic VHO's on a 660 ballast.

I am about 100% positive I am still going to do this. I am ordering all the stuff tomorrow.

ALL I need is a single ballast, 2 new bulbs and 2 VHO bulbs. About $300 and I am set.

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my original plan was running (2) 250w Hamilton 14k's with (2) 48" actinic VHO's on a 660 ballast.

I am about 100% positive I am still going to do this. I am ordering all the stuff tomorrow.

ALL I need is a single ballast, 2 new bulbs and 2 VHO bulbs. About $300 and I am set.

which reflector did you go with?

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well right now I just have the spider reflectors, but when I get some more cash I am going to get the lumenarc mini's...

Sound good?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 71 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 67 28.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 50 21.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back