What are the root causes of Cyano?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyanobacteria in general, and many other bacterial species, have the ability to produce siderophores, which are iron chelators. Each species exhibits, on its surface and in its cellular biochemical mechanisms, specific receptors for the siderophores that produce, but not for the others. Therefore, IMO, the best form of administration would be ferric sulfate, or ferrous sulfate, not chelated iron.

Iron‐limited growth of cyanobacteria: Multiple siderophore production is a common response

Best regards

Iron (III) is not very soluble in seawater, but I suppose even a very small solubility would be a bonus for the organism. Thanks for the heads up. I will take a closer look at cyanobacteria medium recipes.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyanobacteria in general, and many other bacterial species, have the ability to produce siderophores, which are iron chelators. Each species exhibits, on its surface and in its cellular biochemical mechanisms, specific receptors for the siderophores that produce, but not for the others. Therefore, IMO, the best form of administration would be ferric sulfate, or ferrous sulfate, not chelated iron.

Iron‐limited growth of cyanobacteria: Multiple siderophore production is a common response

Best regards

You have a great bibliography!

Just had a thought in the shower about iron exchange between chelators, for example, gluconate to a Cyanobacteria siderophore as a way to get around siderophore specific transport of iron. Also, I found this in the reference you just provided

the catechol’s higher affinity for the iron molecule would facilitate a transfer or stripping event. This process moves the iron molecule from the hydroxamate chelator to the catechol.”

This refers to the catechol’s on the cell surface which have a high affinity for iron and serve to further scavenge iron. I now think that these organisms might have a process to pick iron from another species siderophore. Thoughts?

Dan

Jose Mayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a great bibliography!

Just had a thought in the shower about iron exchange between chelators, for example, gluconate to a Cyanobacteria siderophore as a way to get around siderophore specific transport of iron. Also, I found this in the reference you just provided

the catechol’s higher affinity for the iron molecule would facilitate a transfer or stripping event. This process moves the iron molecule from the hydroxamate chelator to the catechol.”

This refers to the catechol’s on the cell surface which have a high affinity for iron and serve to further scavenge iron. I now think that these organisms might have a process to pick iron from another species siderophore. Thoughts?

Dan
Siderophores function as mechanisms of competition between species, so the importance of their specificity so that, once linked to iron, establish a reserve of this trace element for the species that produced them. On the other hand, a species capable of taking advantage of more than a sideróforo, or capable of producing a more powerful sideróforo and able to rob iron of sideróforos weaker, also would have a competitive advantage, and it is real, it exists.

Regards

PS ... however, the ligation of free iron by a sideróforo should certainly be an easier occurrence than the theft of iron between sideróforos, for that reason the supply of iron free and in adequate concentration (occurs inhibition by the excess), must be more useful for the colony than the chelated iron.

Last edited:

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought. Carbonic acid will dissolve aragonite. Maybe with enough CO2 being produced in the substrate, phosphate can be liberated to encourage faster cyanobacteria growth.
The biofilms on our teeth also produce organic acids. I guess these are more effective in dissolving the calcium Phosphate.

In an an aquarium with constant light levels (presumably the light isn’t being modulated to simulate brighter afternoon conditions) I would agree that the cyanobacteria might be moving into the substrate for nutrient reasons, looking for more CO2, NH3/NO3, and phosphate.
The cyanobacteria do it in tanks with normal day/night rhythms. It makes no sense for them to be exposed to light when nutrients are used up and so they go into the substrate to accumulate new nutrients.

I don’t understand how a phosphate concentration gradient would enable luxurious cyanobacteria film formation. What is the mechanism?
Not in the test tube but in the tank: The cyanobacteria compete with corals for nitrogen and trace elements. When phosphate is low the coral growth will be slowed down or stopped. Now the cyanobacteria can make use of N and trace elements that the corals consumed previously and of phosphate that is not in the water any more but can be found in the substrates and rocks.

I agree with Jose regarding siderophores. From observation I guess cyanbacteria prefer iron (phosphate) precipitates to acquire iron and/or phosphate.

Last edited:

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll post this in hopes someone has some ideas on what might be killing off oscillatoria here.
Here's a look at oscillatoria dying (or not) in closed spaces.

Culture wells with different amounts of cyano in each well. Sealed the tops off with plastic and left under diffused tank lighting for ~24hrs.
Low concentrations lived, high concentrations mostly died, and higher concentrations died completely.
OscillatoriaCultureWells.jpg

Top pic, immediate preparation, middle after clumping, bottom pic 24hr later.
I prepared a slurry of oscillatoria from my tank and mixed them up then dropped varying amounts in each well. From left to right 1 drop cyano slurry in 10 drops total (tank water), 3 cyano / 10 total, 9 cyano/10 total etc. as labeled in bottom pic.
[The pink water is from pigment (phycoerythrin) leaking out of cells indicating death of oscillatoria, the strands are green after they've leaked the pigment out.]
The lowest concentrations (1/10, 3/10, 1/20) lived, the 9/10 had mostly dead cyano but there were some ~10% living cyano strands remaining. The 15/15 had all dead cyano and lots of dead nematodes and copepods. (notably, almost nothing kills nematodes)
30/30 was difficult to see anything.

I can't figure what caused death here. Whether the high concentrations of cyano depleted something they need pretty urgently, or the cyano produced something that needed to be diffused or processed out but couldn't.
I have no good candidates for what might've caused this.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biofilms on our teeth also produce organic acids. I guess these are more effective in dissolving the calcium Phosphate.

Good point! Tooth decay. I should review the properties of this biofilm

The cyanobacteria do it in tanks with normal day/night rhythms. It makes no sense for them to be exposed to light when nutrients are used up and so they go into the substrate to accumulate new nutrients.

Also, photosynthesis without using the energy results in reactive oxygen species that are toxic. Therefore, running low on nutrients requires the cyanobacteria to shade itself or to dismantle its photosynthetic apparatus. Shading is probably the first thing it tries.

Not in the test tube but in the tank: The cyanobacteria compete with corals for nitrogen and trace elements. When phosphate is low the coral growth will be slowed down or stopped. Now the cyanobacteria can make use of N and trace elements that the corals consumed previously and of phosphate that is not in the water any more but can be found in the substrates and rocks.

I agree with Jose regarding siderophores. From observation I guess cyanbacteria prefer iron (phosphate) precipitates to acquire iron and/or phosphate.

OK, I understand your idea.

I don’t understand the idea that cyanobacteria prefer iron precipitates. Could you clarify? Thanks

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll post this in hopes someone has some ideas on what might be killing off oscillatoria here.
Here's a look at oscillatoria dying (or not) in closed spaces.

Culture wells with different amounts of cyano in each well. Sealed the tops off with plastic and left under diffused tank lighting for ~24hrs.
Low concentrations lived, high concentrations mostly died, and higher concentrations died completely.
OscillatoriaCultureWells.jpg

Top pic, immediate preparation, middle after clumping, bottom pic 24hr later.
I prepared a slurry of oscillatoria from my tank and mixed them up then dropped varying amounts in each well. From left to right 1 drop cyano slurry in 10 drops total (tank water), 3 cyano / 10 total, 9 cyano/10 total etc. as labeled in bottom pic.
[The pink water is from pigment (phycoerythrin) leaking out of cells indicating death of oscillatoria, the strands are green after they've leaked the pigment out.]
The lowest concentrations (1/10, 3/10, 1/20) lived, the 9/10 had mostly dead cyano but there were some ~10% living cyano strands remaining. The 15/15 had all dead cyano and lots of dead nematodes and copepods. (notably, almost nothing kills nematodes)
30/30 was difficult to see anything.

I can't figure what caused death here. Whether the high concentrations of cyano depleted something they need pretty urgently, or the cyano produced something that needed to be diffused or processed out but couldn't.
I have no good candidates for what might've caused this.

I like this experiment.

You know, we need to start running larger cyanobacteria cultures so we have enough medium to run some tests. Of course, if the chemical species are concentrated enough we can take small samples and test them diluted. In your present case, we could have checked the water chemistry for obvious problems.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like this experiment.

You know, we need to start running larger cyanobacteria cultures so we have enough medium to run some tests. Of course, if the chemical species are concentrated enough we can take small samples and test them diluted. In your present case, we could have checked the water chemistry for obvious problems.
Actually, sophisticated test unnecessary in this case. The live wells had no smell, but the dead ones burned my nose with ammonia.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe this link might help: Iron in Cyanobacteria

Regards

Thanks! Link did not work but the title provided a couple good papers via Google.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, sophisticated test unnecessary in this case. The live wells had no smell, but the dead ones burned my nose with ammonia.

Sounds like you found the culprit!

MabuyaQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you found the culprit!

I think this is jumping to conclusions, for all we know the ammonia was a product produced by the process that killed the cyano, not what killed the cyano.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is jumping to conclusions, for all we know the ammonia was a product produced by the process that killed the cyano, not what killed the cyano.
It's true that ammonia from a dead culture doesn't mean that ammonia is what killed it. However it's pretty hard to find things that fit the clues here. Small concentration of oscillatoria is fine but large one self-destructs.
low light and nutrient starvation wouldn't kill overnight.
oxygen deprived, it's fine going anaerobic.
it can grow in pH everywhere from 5 to 10.
oxidation / photo-oxidation could kill it, but this same process has happened to me with concentrated oscillatoria samples left in the dark.
however ammonia build-up could kill it, and in the time lapse above we see the cyano grabbing and pulling in every bit of debris and collecting it together in the clump. This debris and associated bacteria might be expected to produce ammonia through breakdown process that could feed the cyano mat under normal circumstances. Instead at the high concentrations in a sealed small container, this could easily be too much ammonia and kill everything.
It's not proof, but it's by far the best guess I've got. (Though I'm open to other interpretations)

substrateflasks.jpg

next round, tiny flasks with substrate @Hans-Werner and slow bubbling.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I made the leap knowing that cyanobacteria films can be densely inhabited by all sorts of organisms, some multicellular. Cutting off their oxygen supply is going to kill them and provide bacteria with food. I think it be a provisional explanation until something better comes along.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some tests were a flop. Too much organics - the cultures turned to smelly death.
This on the other hand, I did as an afterthought - start with very little, innoculated with oscillatoria cells and gradually fed particulate matter.
SandCyanoSludge.jpg

It seems that this has sufficient conditions to grow as much cyano as one could possibly want.
BUT
Which subset of these conditions was actually necessary?
  1. Sand, pre-soaked in Phosphate rich medium (F/2 at double strength for a couple of days)
  2. Initial media 1/10th F/2 media (5ppm NO3, 0.35ppm PO4, trace elements)
  3. Washed particulates from a mix of skimmer sludge and algae fish food as nutrients. Daily addition.
  4. CO2 supplementation: a drop of limewater on day 8, a drop of saturated baking soda water from days 13 on.
  5. Water changes: 50% water changes from day 13 on with initial media.
As you can see, 1 through 3 were not sufficient on their own. The culture weakened from days 10-13. adding #4 & 5 from day 13 forward really caused the cyano to rally.
My guess is that #1 the sand was unnecessary, and #2 the media could have been totally blank saltwater - assuming that the sludge particulates were nutritious enough.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some tests were a flop. Too much organics - the cultures turned to smelly death.
This on the other hand, I did as an afterthought - start with very little, innoculated with oscillatoria cells and gradually fed particulate matter.
SandCyanoSludge.jpg

It seems that this has sufficient conditions to grow as much cyano as one could possibly want.
BUT
Which subset of these conditions was actually necessary?
  1. Sand, pre-soaked in Phosphate rich medium (F/2 at double strength for a couple of days)
  2. Initial media 1/10th F/2 media (5ppm NO3, 0.35ppm PO4, trace elements)
  3. Washed particulates from a mix of skimmer sludge and algae fish food as nutrients. Daily addition.
  4. CO2 supplementation: a drop of limewater on day 8, a drop of saturated baking soda water from days 13 on.
  5. Water changes: 50% water changes from day 13 on with initial media.
YAs you can see, 1 through 3 were not sufficient on their own. The culture weakened from days 10-13. adding #4 & 5 from day 13 forward really caused the cyano to rally.
My guess is that #1 the sand was unnecessary, and #2 the media could have been totally blank saltwater - assuming that the sludge particulates were nutritious enough.

As always, nice experiments. I need to try the sludge addition, but first...

A funny thing happened to my Spirulina culture when I added rinsed aragonite sand from the aquarium. It barely grew compared to the no sand control and only at the water line. @taricha reminded me about the adsorption of PO4 by aragonite. Sure enough, an experiment proved that 0.15 mL of sand in 5 mL of medium was sufficient to seriously deplete the medium of PO4. After adding fresh medium, the Spirulina growth increased but barely at all on the sand, just at the water line. I am in the process of repeating the sand experiment results with additional observations to help understand why there might be this effect. I am now wondering whether Spirulina adapts to being cultured differently then the Oscillatoria @taricha is culturing. I also wonder if Oscillatoria has different PO4 requirements. That means @taricha needs to measure the PO4 level in his cultures for me :)

Last edited:

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After adding fresh medium, the Spirulina growth increased but barely at all on the sand, just at the water line....

I also wonder if Oscillatoria has different PO4 requirements. That means @taricha needs to measure the PO4 level in his cultures for me :)

I also have had cyano occasionally prefer the intersection of air/water/container. Sometimes it's not apparent why this would be the preference.

I suppose if our two perpendicular approaches are going to talk to each other I'll need to actually measure stuff. PO4 might well be limiting across all our cases.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have had cyano occasionally prefer the intersection of air/water/container. Sometimes it's not apparent why this would be the preference.

I suppose if our two perpendicular approaches are going to talk to each other I'll need to actually measure stuff. PO4 might well be limiting across all our cases.

I wonder whether location preference reflects different a strain, species, whatever. I need to repeat my Spirulina experiments with Oscillatoria. I want to avoid falling into the trap of generalizing that cyanobacteria are all pretty much alike.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back