What Bloom is this, Saltwater setup

mem1991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have owned a freshwater setup for over a year no problem I recently moved to a saltwater setup FOWLR in a 125L Juwel tank not a sump setup unfortunately,

I have live rock from caribsea & Live sand also from caribsea with some fake anemones at the moment until I get more experienced, Also have a external canister fluval 407, Two wave makers with adjustable flow on the lowest setting currently for my two clownfish

In terms of parameters the tank has now fully cycled with the help of Fritz

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0.1
PH - 8.4
Salinity - 1.025

The only issue I seem to have is a bloom which I cannot figure out what it is the minute the light is on it’s so noticeable I have been consistent in water changes but this hasn’t cleared up the bloom if it’s that? Is it a bloom or is it something else?, I have just brought an inline UV clarifier which will be delivered tomorrow 23/03 not sure if this will help but I have posted the photo below, can anyone confirm what bloom this looks like, Any help would be much appreciated,
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks to me like either diatoms (brown algae that shows up very quickly) or if its a dark red it could cyano, which is a bacteria that can be frustrating.
If it is brown, they are likely diatoms (100% normal) I recommend going over to reefcleaners.com and getting a clean up crew sized to your tank!

OP
OP
M

mem1991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thankyou so much for the reply! In terms of a uv sterilisation clarifier unit would this help ? Also I don’t notice any colour of red or brown in the tank it seems to be on the water Column surface?
Thanks for the advice btw!

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add several bags of chemi pure blue to your canister filter. Possibly consider adding another more powerful filter. Chemi pure blue should clear that up though.
The UV sterilizer may help, some people have great success with them.
Id suggest chemi pure though, it helps with that a lot, be sure to get the blue as that has the color changing resins which will help clear the water.

OP
OP
M

mem1991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there I’ve had the UV on for 24 hours and still hasn’t cleared up the bloom or am I just being too impatient, very confused as to what type of bloom this is, As it’s colourless odourless, I have chemi pure blue coming today so should I introduce that into my canister filter, Also where do I put the chemi pure blue Bottom or top I have sponges etc at bottom then 3x of ceramic biological media, Done another partial water change today but still hasn’t made a difference, Parameters still healthy & fish are aswell, the bloom can also be seen on the sand bed base not as much as on the water Column but still noticeable

image.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back