What canister filter is the best for a 29 gallon saltwater tank?

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it’s okay to completely rinse all the media in RO water? And that won’t kill the good bacteria? I didn’t know that! If that’s the case then that sounds pretty easy. I honestly don’t even use RO water now on my tank lol but I was thinking of investing in one.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So it’s okay to completely rinse all the media in RO water? And that won’t kill the good bacteria? I didn’t know that! If that’s the case then that sounds pretty easy. I honestly don’t even use RO water now on my tank lol but I was thinking of investing in one.

In my opinion, canister filters for saltwater tanks should be cleaned every week or two and used primarily for mechanical filtration and not biological filtration. The live rock and substrate should provide enough biological filtration if you keep up with regular water changes. Additionally, you can occasionally add activated carbon to one of the filter chambers for some chemical filtration.

You can have ceramic rings, bio balls, or something comparable in one of the chambers for biological filtration but personally I do not recommend that approach. I would suggest that you fill the chambers with filter floss (an inexpensive alternative is pillow stuffing) and sponges. You can rinse both of these with RO water and remove all of the detritus, debris, etc. that has collected in the filter material without the risks of rinsing with tap water.

Regarding the water, you will typically want to either buy saltwater from your local fish store or make your own with RO water and reef-safe salt (unless you have easy access to the ocean). You can get an RO/DI unit and make your own RO water or you can also buy the RO water from your LFS. Once you have the RO water on-hand then you can use it for mix with salt for water changes, topping off the tank from evaporation, and for rinsing the filter material. As others have said, canister filters can be used for saltwater tanks, but they do take regular water changes and cleaning.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! How do you usually clean it? I hear you can’t use freshwater to clean it or else the tank will crash, so does that mean I need to take out a few gallons of tank water and just rinse everything in that every other week? Currently I rinse my HOB filter in the sink with tap water and it seems to be fine. But I understand that kills bacteria in canister filters. So what’s the best way to maintain a canister?
Thanks! How do you usually clean it? I hear you can’t use freshwater to clean it or else the tank will crash, so does that mean I need to take out a few gallons of tank water and just rinse everything in that every other week? Currently I rinse my HOB filter in the sink with tap water and it seems to be fine. But I understand that kills bacteria in canister filters. So what’s the best way to maintain a canister?
I was it in the bath tub and rinse with ro water. Never had a crash but ive got a 75 g tank. I rinse bio media in old tank water.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In my opinion, canister filters for saltwater tanks should be cleaned every week or two and used primarily for mechanical filtration and not biological filtration. The live rock and substrate should provide enough biological filtration if you keep up with regular water changes. Additionally, you can occasionally add activated carbon to one of the filter chambers for some chemical filtration.

You can have ceramic rings, bio balls, or something comparable in one of the chambers for biological filtration but personally I do not recommend that approach. I would suggest that you fill the chambers with filter floss (an inexpensive alternative is pillow stuffing) and sponges. You can rinse both of these with RO water and remove all of the detritus, debris, etc. that has collected in the filter material without the risks of rinsing with tap water.

Regarding the water, you will typically want to either buy saltwater from your local fish store or make your own with RO water and reef-safe salt (unless you have easy access to the ocean). You can get an RO/DI unit and make your own RO water or you can also buy the RO water from your LFS. Once you have the RO water on-hand then you can use it for mix with salt for water changes, topping off the tank from evaporation, and for rinsing the filter material. As others have said, canister filters can be used for saltwater tanks, but they do take regular water changes and cleaning.

Curious - Why every 1 - 2 weeks? If I were going to use a canister filter - I would put a sponge over the intake (i.e. one of the foam blocks) - to keep out large debris/detritus - and I would clean that every week. if I was going to use a canister filter - I would keep the flow in the tank 'higher' than normal.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious - Why every 1 - 2 weeks? If I were going to use a canister filter - I would put a sponge over the intake (i.e. one of the foam blocks) - to keep out large debris/detritus - and I would clean that every week. if I was going to use a canister filter - I would keep the flow in the tank 'higher' than normal.
I use the sponges inside the canister for that. There are large medium and fine. Once the mont works just fine. If I wait longer the flow is greatly diminished. It works well. It keeps nitrates higher.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef! I’d highly suggest using only RODI water. I also would avoid this whole canister idea at all costs. Check Craigslist for a sump. It’s going to save you much more money in the long run. If you need to clean this canister once a week, that’s going to burn through media in no time and will become very expensive.
Excited to see your build regardless!!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use the sponges inside the canister for that. There are large medium and fine. Once the mont works just fine. If I wait longer the flow is greatly diminished. It works well. It keeps nitrates higher.

BUt - If you put one on the outside - you dont have to clean the inside anywhere near as often... IMHO.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It all depends on the bioload of the tank. If you use a "prefilter" sponge it will cut down on detritus that enters the canister, but wont eliminate it.

I ran a canister filter for 2yrs when I first started. I would clean it once a month, but should have probably cleaned it every two weeks.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It all depends on the bioload of the tank. If you use a "prefilter" sponge it will cut down on detritus that enters the canister, but wont eliminate it.

I ran a canister filter for 2yrs when I first started. I would clean it once a month, but should have probably cleaned it every two weeks.

On what do you base that time Frame? Rising nitrate? Empiric? etc? If you use a pre-filter - and water changes - my guess is you wouldn't need to change it except every 6 months. (unless nitrites were rising - or flow was diminished). But thats just my experience with canister filters.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On what do you base that time Frame? Rising nitrate? Empiric? etc? If you use a pre-filter - and water changes - my guess is you wouldn't need to change it except every 6 months. (unless nitrites were rising - or flow was diminished). But thats just my experience with canister filters.

Just based on how much detritus was in the canister. The fine pad would be clogged, and flow would slow way down at around a month. But I also had 7 fish in a 25g cube, so the bioload was high, and I did not use a skimmer.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%
Back