What ever happened to the Vertex Cerebra?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Their facebook page lists their address as 5445 Oceanus Dr # 107, Huntington Beach, California 92649. Anyone live near Huntington Beach that can swing by?
While there, tell them you’re here to pick up the 596 cerebra units they promised 2 years ago !! LOL. LOL

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I guess we all got screwed over.
Somehow we cant let them get away with it. they strung us on for 2+ years stalling us until they failed in whole

Mrx7899

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im surprised that nobody on this site works for vertex or knows someone that works for them. They cant come on here and say anything about what's going on in the company

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im surprised that nobody on this site works for vertex or knows someone that works for them. They cant come on here and say anything about what's going on in the company
Don’t think they have anything to say. Project seems to have failed, they just want it to disappear without any legal ramifications (In my opinion).

Last edited:

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t think they have anything to say. Project seems to have failed, they just want to disappear without any legal ramifications (In my opinion).
Unlike Mindstream which was a startup, Vertex is/was an established company with numerous other products. Even if they decided to throw in the towel with the cerebra there would still be a company to respond to questions unless the entire company has gone under and closed its doors. From the posts here on R2R:
  • The Cerebra forum and slack channel have completely disappeared
  • emails have not been answered
  • phone calls are not answered and the voicemail box is full. I also just tried calling - the call rolled straight to voicemail with a message saying the mailbox was full.
From my own research, looking at the retailers listed on Vertex's web site:
  • Aquarium Specialty - only stocks a few Vertex products but they are all on closeout
  • Aquacave - is completely out of Vertex skimmers but has Vertex RO/DI systems and other miscellaneous parts in stock at regular prices
  • Bulk Reef Supply - about half of the Vertex gear they carry in stock and half out of stock at regular prices
  • J&L aquatics - appears to have no Vertex gear
  • Marine Depot - has Vertex Reactors, skimmers and RO/DI systems in stock at regular prices
  • Premium aquatics - about half of the vertex gear they carry is out of stock, regular prices
Typically when a retailer stops stocking a company's products they put them on closeout (like BRS did with Digital Aquatics.) The fact that BRS, Marine Depot and Premium Aquatics all appear to be stocking Vertex gear indicates that at least for the time being they plan to continue carrying Vertex gear. It would be nice if one of the retailers here would chime in and say whether they know anything about the status of Vertex as a company. @Bulk Reef Supply @MarineDepot - do you have any information about the status of Vertex as a company?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unlike Mindstream which was a startup, Vertex is/was an established company with numerous other products. Even if they decided to throw in the towel with the cerebra there would still be a company to respond to questions unless the entire company has gone under and closed its doors. From the posts here on R2R:
  • The Cerebra forum and slack channel have completely disappeared
  • emails have not been answered
  • phone calls are not answered and the voicemail box is full. I also just tried calling - the call rolled straight to voicemail with a message saying the mailbox was full.
From my own research, looking at the retailers listed on Vertex's web site:
  • Aquarium Specialty - only stocks a few Vertex products but they are all on closeout
  • Aquacave - is completely out of Vertex skimmers but has Vertex RO/DI systems and other miscellaneous parts in stock at regular prices
  • Bulk Reef Supply - about half of the Vertex gear they carry in stock and half out of stock at regular prices
  • J&L aquatics - appears to have no Vertex gear
  • Marine Depot - has Vertex Reactors, skimmers and RO/DI systems in stock at regular prices
  • Premium aquatics - about half of the vertex gear they carry is out of stock, regular prices
Typically when a retailer stops stocking a company's products they put them on closeout (like BRS did with Digital Aquatics.) The fact that BRS, Marine Depot and Premium Aquatics all appear to be stocking Vertex gear indicates that at least for the time being they plan to continue carrying Vertex gear. It would be nice if one of the retailers here would chime in and say whether they know anything about the status of Vertex as a company. @Bulk Reef Supply @MarineDepot - do you have any information about the status of Vertex as a company?

Darn- my post was missing the word "It" which entirely changed the meaning. I wanted to say "Project seems to have failed, they just want it to disappear without any legal ramifications (In my opinion)." Didn't mean the entire company, as I have no idea how that stands.

Agree with you, definitely would be great to have more information.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it‘s worth, I asked BRS and they have no other information.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't tell from their site. Are they owned by Vertex in China or just a US distributor?

How many people did they have working on the Cerebra project? I found a company listing somewhere and it said they employed less than 10 people.

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone remember what the name of that company that sprung up in Canada that offered almost identical products to Vertex's offerings about 4-6 months ago? It was posted in the cerebra forums and the "official" word was they weren't related and Vertex "would be looking into them" but nothing else was said.

jwilliams860

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone remember what the name of that company that sprung up in Canada that offered almost identical products to Vertex's offerings about 4-6 months ago? It was posted in the cerebra forums and the "official" word was they weren't related and Vertex "would be looking into them" but nothing else was said.
I posted the link to them

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS just confirmed on their channel that Vertex is out of business.

Really a sad ending to what was once a good company in the reefing world. I don't know if we'll ever know what really happened but it seems like the Cerebra ended up being their downfall.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just heard too and Am MAD !!! Thieves !!
I said it two years ago and last year as I noticed their lack of presence at trade shows and industry shows and knew this was the beginning of the end !!! We should have started a lawsuit when we had an opportunity. WE ARE ALL DONORS SITTING ON EQUIPMENT WHICH THEY HAD US ALL MAIL IN THE CIRCUIT BOARDS MAKING IT A BOX OF WORTHLESS PARTS !!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back