What happened?

twintrades

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
woke up this morning to find our little boy is laying at the bottom of the fish tank right next to the female. she's fine sitting there scrubbing away under mushroom but he was laying there with his f in slightly torn dead. Could the age difference cause a fight? He was a juvi bw. She's a pvc. Reg.

I don't want to have this happen again. What could have gone wrong? They were getting along fine. She is 3yrs old. They both ate good.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

twintrades

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large one is female. A regular occ. shes been the only clown for 2 yrs. Then we added the little (under a inch) juvi. It was an Black and white occ.

They got along great for the past week sharing the shroom no aggression. Then this morning i found him dead. Dunno if if was her of if something else happened? But his fins were a little jagged......

I dont want to put another small clown in with her if shes going to do the same thing.... I was hoping these would pair up.:hurt:

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's always risky when adding a new fish of any type to an already established tank. Especially more so with clowns, even more so with female clowns. If she doesn't accept him he's in deep trouble.
Then again he could have been sick and she knew it. It which case she would reject him.
You just never know. I'm sorry for your loss :(

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

TheClownGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear... Could be her aggression as female goes they can switch the light bulb in a blink of an eye. My female clowns still does this to show dominance this keeps the males in check .. I believe she was doing this but the poor little guy might of been to small to handle a couple of blows so there goes Fraser.

Grab a slightly bigger clown next time. Good luck

OP
OP
T

twintrades

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was thinking. Mabey ill set up a temporary tank. With a sponge filter. I can take the lil guy back to the lfs and get another. I'll pair them together. And wait for another male

OP
OP
T

twintrades

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot about my sump on the reef tank. I'll put her in there and get 2 young ones. For the 15 gal. Just gonna have to wait a year or 2 for them to breed. ......

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should get a male bigger than an inch, or as close to 2" give him a figthing chance towards a female who is territorial.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 95 44.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 72 33.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 34 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back