what happens when i don't change my carbon?

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The carbon I use recommends that I should change every month, what would happen if I just leave it in the tank? Would it leach out the chemicals that it absorbed?
No it won't leach chemicals back unless you would crush it with a hammer. The carbon just will become a biofilter hosted by many bacteria.

Last edited:

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it won't leach chemicals back unless you would crush it with a hammer. The carbon just will become a biofilter hosted by many bacteria.
I normally use a small amount when necessary and toss it after a week.

I believe that after a week the pores are all clogged up with bacteria and its filtration ability is next to negligible..

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW, another miracle in our midst!

"AquaChar provides crystal clear water, biological balance, nutrient control, pH stability, reduced algae, & much more."

Why wouldn't you want that? lol

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The carbon I use recommends that I should change every month, what would happen if I just leave it in the tank? Would it leach out the chemicals that it absorbed?
I don't believe so, at least not for a long while. Carbon can only absorb so much before becoming basically useless (as a chemical media), which is why people change it.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that is part of the logic behind aquachar's carbon marketing https://www.aquachar.com/about/
Being the skeptical guy I am. Read the claims. Reviewed a few videos. Just not convinced this overpriced solution does all it claims or worth the added cost over other carbons. Plus there's an assertion that coal based carbon causes HLLE which I thought had been proven wrong. Not up to speed on the latter so open to being placed on the correct path.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being the skeptical guy I am. Read the claims. Reviewed a few videos. Just not convinced this overpriced solution does all it claims or worth the added cost over other carbons. Plus there's an assertion that coal based carbon causes HLLE which I thought had been proven wrong. Not up to speed on the latter so open to being placed on the correct path.

Oh I'm not saying that their claims are correct, just that I thought that was one of the things they said about the product.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW, another miracle in our midst!

Again, I am not saying the wonderfully written marketing is all true haha. I was just mentioning that I thought it was something they talked about.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I'm not saying that their claims are correct, just that I thought that was one of the things they said about the product.

I know its just carbon, but I linked it as they mentioned bacteria consuming what the carbon attracts.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know its just carbon, but I linked it as they mentioned bacteria consuming what the carbon attracts.

I think that is pure speculation on their part, but GAC is a good surface for bacteria to grow on. :)

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 149 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.9%
Back