What is everyone doing for battery back up?

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a small UPS that I can use for my 2 mp40's and my return pump but I'm only going to get around 2 hours out of it. Is anyone running something thats lasts way longer? It would be nice to get atleast 24 hours out of it but not be a fire risk haha.

Thanks,

bestfishes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They make a really cool, but kinda expensive 30 hour battery for the MP40s. I have three of them. You can even connect two together and dedicate just one powerhead to the battery and get 60 hours of run time. https://store2.ecotechmarine.com/collections/battery-backup

One drawback is when using the backups they wont turn off if you are doing a feed cycle that depends on the powerstrip cutting power to them. I tend to leave mine unplugged until I need them or am going away for some time.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I operate on a hope and a prayer that nothing will go wrong and I won’t be out of power that long.
it’s risky :grimacing-face:
Scared 30 Rock GIF by HULU

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 ecotech batteries as well. Highly recommended. I diy replace the internal batteries on an every 4 year rotating schedule.

bestfishes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dwest- Thats awesome that you replace the bats yourself. I'd love to learn more about your DIY process! In particular what battery and the source to get it.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I operate on a hope and a prayer that nothing will go wrong and I won’t be out of power that long.
it’s risky :grimacing-face:
Yup, same here.
In the nearly 20 years I've lived at my house, I can only think of one time when the power went out for more than a few hours. IIRC, it was out for something like a day or two. I ended up picking up a Ryobi inverter for their 40v batteries since I have a bunch of them. I think I could get each battery to run a heater and a power head for a few hours, but that was about it. Even with 3 batteries and the ability to charge them up at work (just a few minutes from my house), it wasn't a sustainable option.
I still have the inverters and would do it again if the power went out for any length of time, but I don't consider that a solution, just a fluke that I'm able to do it.

bestfishes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive gone as far as putting a cross over switch on my main electrical panel for long term emergencies which have happened once in my life and lasted 18 hours. My fish tank, refrigerators, wine cellar, AC, TV, internet and the microwave are all attached to that panel. I can roll my generator up to the connector and as long as I have fuel, my tank has full power including lights and sirens ;-). I got the batteries for when I am away and no one is around to figure all the hook ups out.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dwest- Thats awesome that you replace the bats yourself. I'd love to learn more about your DIY process! In particular what battery and the source to get it.
I do this

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a backup gen for long power outages (greater than 3 hrs), a battery air pump for short ones (less than 3 hrs) and an ecoflow battery bank that I leave connected when away on business or vacation.

Apex heartbeat / home security will notify in the event of power loss and the ecoflow gives my tank enough time for me to get someone over to the house and power up my gen. Ecoflow has a bunch of battery sizes so you can choose based on your needs.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two ecotechs and work like a charm -

then I got a whole home generac and it works more better - and gave the ecotechs to my son and they have served him well through 2 whole day shut downs

my problem now is that all my dosing is performed with Kamoers on bluetooth (live in a rural setting -no house wifi) and they shut down with any gap in circuit - requiring a simple re-initiation, but if I'm gone...

Finally found a versa to at least drive the talk

OP
OP
slythy

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea i travel for a living but my wife is home most of that time. Ive looked into a car battery, pure sine inverter and battery charger to put my 2 mp40’s and sicce sdc 6.0 on. But unsure if thats the smart play. I will buy a little honda generator here soon enough for motorcycle tire warmers lol

i have a small 650va ups i can use for now till i figure out something better

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea i travel for a living but my wife is home most of that time. Ive looked into a car battery, pure sine inverter and battery charger to put my 2 mp40’s and sicce sdc 6.0 on. But unsure if thats the smart play. I will buy a little honda generator here soon enough for motorcycle tire warmers lol

i have a small 650va ups i can use for now till i figure out something better
Unless your tank is large, just running one mp40 will buy you a lot of time. Good luck.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ups hooked up to 2 motorcycle batteries. I know I can get at least 6 hours on it without running my heater. Neptune apex turns off all non essential items when power goes out and it turns cor20 return pump way down to 5% and the gyres down to 20%. I'm not sure how long it can really go, but I do have a 5500 watt generator for longer outages.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did an experiment with my Tunze 6095, safety switch and a 12 volt batter, and my 6095 ran for 5 days.

schmittym7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They make a really cool, but kinda expensive 30 hour battery for the MP40s. I have three of them. You can even connect two together and dedicate just one powerhead to the battery and get 60 hours of run time. https://store2.ecotechmarine.com/collections/battery-backup

One drawback is when using the backups they wont turn off if you are doing a feed cycle that depends on the powerstrip cutting power to them. I tend to leave mine unplugged until I need them or am going away for some time.
Thats funny, I had the same thing happen to me. I was like what the heck when the MP40's didn't shut off then realized they were running on battery backup.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back