What is everyone doing for battery back up?

Mike konesky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did an experiment with my Tunze 6095, safety switch and a 12 volt batter, and my 6095 ran for 5 days.
What battery size and what speed was set? Just ordered one and curious. I know they cut whatever speed you have set in half once the backup comes on.

To OP question: I'm running 5-APC ups units on 3 systems. 100% reliable, audible alarm is awesome (just not when all 5 chime at once).
2 Honda eu2200 for longer outages.
Newly ordered Tunze switch should allow for over a week by itself.

motzCOreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Installed a couple of Powerwalls. Should last me at least 6 hours. Portable generator if the outage is greater than 6 hours which has never happened to me.
PXL_20220128_233817371.jpg

Jwink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an APC 1500. It mainly runs my Nero's when the power goes out so that holds for a while. Everything else shuts down when the power goes out but that seems to work so far.

OP
OP
slythy

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just got a APC SM750 UPS that had dead batteries. Im debating modding it, adding fans and putting 2x 75AH SLA batteries on it. I dont think it would pose any risk at all and we barely if ever lose power... but i travel a lot so being able to go 10 hours with the return pump and 2 mp40's would be perfect.

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No battery backup here. I have an automatic generator that should be able to supply my essential circuits indefinitely. Aquarium, sump, fridge, living room, kitchen, bathrooms, water heater, beer fridge. Essentials.

Naso110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an old little Honda 4000w "handheld" 60lbs, so I guess hands held generator. (6) 25 ft extension cords. Not pretty, but cheap and works for running all pumps and heaters if necessary for all 6 tanks

FMF0331

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 ecotech batteries as well. Highly recommended. I diy replace the internal batteries on an every 4 year rotating schedule.
Same here, replacing the battery is easier than expected. Popping off the rivets to the cover was the hardest part.

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two ecotechs and work like a charm -

then I got a whole home generac and it works more better - and gave the ecotechs to my son and they have served him well through 2 whole day shut downs

my problem now is that all my dosing is performed with Kamoers on bluetooth (live in a rural setting -no house wifi) and they shut down with any gap in circuit - requiring a simple re-initiation, but if I'm gone...

Finally found a versa to at least drive the talk

I think a UPS would help with the Bluetooth problem, correct?

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Dwest- Thats awesome that you replace the bats yourself. I'd love to learn more about your DIY process! In particular what battery and the source to get it.
@bestfishes Checkout:

Jwink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a APC SM750 UPS that had dead batteries. Im debating modding it, adding fans and putting 2x 75AH SLA batteries on it. I dont think it would pose any risk at all and we barely if ever lose power... but i travel a lot so being able to go 10 hours with the return pump and 2 mp40's would be perfect.
Does the SM750 have an expansion port on it? I know some of them like the 1500 have a port that you can add batteries to as well as the ones internally. I've seen some people take the expansion port and adapter and wire to a car battery, I'm sure that would give days if it works.

Also I had to change out the batteries in mine, it cost like 40 bucks to buy OEM replacements.

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stage 1 coralbox pump extender to buy some time.
Stage 2 the deep cycle marine batteries come out of the boat and are used to run a small bilge pump from sump to tank via 1/2" hose. And probably a battery operated air pump
Stage 3 share portable generator time with the fridge and window mounted AC
Stage 4 manual circulation with cups, spoons and egg beaters lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220415-101044.png
    Screenshot_20220415-101044.png
    482.3 KB · Views: 31

Ahetrick74

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive gone as far as putting a cross over switch on my main electrical panel for long term emergencies which have happened once in my life and lasted 18 hours. My fish tank, refrigerators, wine cellar, AC, TV, internet and the microwave are all attached to that panel. I can roll my generator up to the connector and as long as I have fuel, my tank has full power including lights and sirens ;-). I got the batteries for when I am away and no one is around to figure all the hook ups out.
I have the same flip a switch and start the generator. The only downside would be if I weren't home. Would have loved a whole house backup that would automatically kick on but I was over ruled due the cost. In my case, my power goes out often, usually for a few hours at a time.

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ReefingIsMyTherapy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this thread is about what is everybody using for battery backup, but I'd like to know, what would you consider as the critical piece(s) of equipment that must be connected to the batteries?

For example, if you have 2 wavemakers, would it be OK to just run one in case of a power outage? My tank has been running for ~4 months, and I don't have a battery backup yet.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back