What is growing on my palys?

Abby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was doing some maintenance today and decided my Sunny Ds were definitely getting too much light, and decided to move them down. After fussing with them the polyps (which have been unhappy, but mostly open, for a while now) closed completely. I took a close look at them and discovered little specks on their skin, with small hairs growing from the light spots. I examined the rest of my frags and discovered the same thing on only one other.

The spots are not nearly as light as they appear in the images, that's something my camera did. They are barely lighter than the zoas skin.
IMG_5397.PNG

scoopsthedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was doing some maintenance today and decided my Sunny Ds were definitely getting too much light, and decided to move them down. After fussing with them the polyps (which have been unhappy, but mostly open, for a while now) closed completely. I took a close look at them and discovered little specks on their skin, with small hairs growing from the light spots. I examined the rest of my frags and discovered the same thing on only one other.

The spots are not nearly as light as they appear in the images, that's something my camera did. They are barely lighter than the zoas skin.
IMG_5397.PNG

Have you dipped then? Had an issue with my fine that Furan seemed to have halted.

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bigger zoas or plays usually cover their skin with sand or other stuff. If they were open then there's nothing wrong. One way of knowing is take them out and smell them. If they smell rotten there's something wrong and use furan 2 like suggested.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bigger zoas or plays usually cover their skin with sand or other stuff. If they were open then there's nothing wrong. One way of knowing is take them out and smell them. If they smell rotten there's something wrong and use furan 2 like suggested.
Thats very helpful :)

It could be hydroids...they have that general look

OP
OP
A

Abby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooh! That's really helpful. The one colony is definitely a Paly, the other (pictured) is an unidentified larger zoa/paly. They are the largest polyps in my tank. I'm not home right now, but I'll be giving them a good whiff later.

Thanks for all the helpful replies :)

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooh! That's really helpful. The one colony is definitely a Paly, the other (pictured) is an unidentified larger zoa/paly. They are the largest polyps in my tank. I'm not home right now, but I'll be giving them a good whiff later.

Thanks for all the helpful replies :)

did you smell them?

OP
OP
A

Abby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you smell them?
I did! I don't think I had ever bothered to smell zoas/palys before? I'm more than a little bit familiar with the smells of SPS so I was expecting something strong like that. I sniffed both colonies as neither was glued down and they were absolutely not rotten or foul smelling! They had very little smell at all and I think it was surprisingly plantlike? That could be a bad description too, I think I'm getting a cold lol.

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be a little worried to smell them, lol, as they have been known to "spit" and your nose can be one way for palytoxin to get into your system..
Just being overly cautious I guess.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back