What is happening to my fish??!

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.
I am quite tired of the hobby right now, everything seems going the wrong way.
Few weeks ago I noticed my YWG had a big white lump near its head
20220212_174526.jpg

And now my clowns have some sort of parasite:
20220219_110916.jpg
20220219_111039.jpg
20220219_111654.jpg

One of them cannot completely close the mouth. It happened fast because last week they looked ok.
I did not quarantine them under the suggestion of my LFS, since they had them in the same tank for a while and they looked perfect for months in my tank.
What disease you think it is?
Sorry for the quality of the pictures but my phone does not manage very well the bow front

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check this too:

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also it looks that whatever it is, its growing inside the mouth as well.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a bacterial infection.

According to seachem, neoplex is the medication of choice. Mouth rot is apparently very contagious, so it makes sense why the rest of your fish are catching it: https://www.seachem.com/neoplex.php

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So its mouth fungus or bacteria? Because treatment for one thing would boost the other in case..

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also from some pics I have seen online it looks a bit like lymphocystis. There are some small white papillae in clumps

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw your previous thread about the lump on the YWG, and in that one Jay already advised bacterial infection as well as what to treat with. Are you thinking that diagnosis might be incorrect?

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw your previous thread about the lump on the YWG, and in that one Jay already advised bacterial infection as well as what to treat with. Are you thinking that diagnosis might be incorrect?
No but on the thread I received different answers. Also as Jay suggested is naturally regressing on the YWG. Should I treat the whole tank with antibiotics? How do you even get an antibiotic without med prescription!

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No but on the thread I received different answers. Also as Jay suggested is naturally regressing on the YWG. Should I treat the whole tank with antibiotics? How do you even get an antibiotic without med prescription!
I saw only responses from Jay, and this was his diagnosis and advice — no more replies after that:

B3ECB261-BD19-413E-9E41-6A784FA52C14.png

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw only responses from Jay, and this was his diagnosis and advice — no more replies after that:
I am talking about this thread. You are saying that the infection in the clowns is the same as the YWG without saying it. I know what is written in my threads.

Also, he/she said it usually regress by itself and since it is getting better I did not dose antibiotics, which I am not even entirely sure I can get without a vet prescription

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

B3ECB261-BD19-413E-9E41-6A784FA52C14.png
On this thread both mouth fungus and bacterial infection has been proposed for the clowns, I was waiting for someone confirming one of the 2 and decide what to do.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On this thread both mouth fungus and bacterial infection has been proposed for the clowns, I was waiting for someone confirming one of the 2 and decide what to do.
Alright, I mean, you had what an expert diagnosed as a bacterial infection in the YWG, which you also posted about that fish here, you chose not to treat, and now the clowns in the same tank have similar. Common sense says it has spread.

Mouth fungus is called fungus but it’s a bacterial infection, and I found that from Google.

As for antibiotics, I keep Maracyn and Maracyn 2 on hand for my FW and SW tanks, but IDK what Jay would recommend, and as he said on your other thread, don’t know what’s available in Germany.

If you want to treat this as a separate issue and wait for Jay to advise, I understand. I’m just saying it looks like the bacterial infection the YWG has is spreading to other fish in the tank.

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I mean, you had what an expert diagnosed as a bacterial infection in the YWG, which you also posted about that fish here, you chose not to treat, and now the clowns in the same tank have similar. Common sense says it has spread.

Mouth fungus is called fungus but it’s a bacterial infection, and I found that from Google.

As for antibiotics, I keep Maracyn and Maracyn 2 on hand for my FW and SW tanks, but IDK what Jay would recommend, and as he said on your other thread, don’t know what’s available in Germany.

If you want to treat this as a separate issue and wait for Jay to advise, I understand. I’m just saying it looks like the bacterial infection the YWG has is spreading to other fish in the tank.
I did not assume was the same because in the case of the YWG started as a discolored patch and became a big lump (2-3mm). Also that started 1 month ago and because it was recessing I decided to not dose antibiotics (I cannot use a qt tank right now) and the fish looked healthy. Antibiotics are bad for any animal, humans included, if there is no emergency of using them.
Now if this is spreading across other fish it starts to be a completely different problem..
I could esclude the sump from the rest of the system and use it as qt for few weeks.. then I can get online some product like the seachem antibiotics and dose it in the sump. Should i treat only the fish showing symptomps or all of them?

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also sorry with everyone but I am relatively new in the forum and I cannot tell who is the expert and who is not.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not assume was the same because in the case of the YWG started as a discolored patch and became a big lump (2-3mm). Also that started 1 month ago and because it was recessing I decided to not dose antibiotics (I cannot use a qt tank right now) and the fish looked healthy. Antibiotics are bad for any animal, humans included, if there is no emergency of using them.
Now if this is spreading across other fish it starts to be a completely different problem..
I could esclude the sump from the rest of the system and use it as qt for few weeks.. then I can get online some product like the seachem antibiotics and dose it in the sump. Should i treat only the fish showing symptomps or all of them?
Now might be the right time to treat, especially the clowns for sure. It also looks like the right time to get a hospital setup, not your sump. I have a 10g clear Rubbermaid tub I set up and use if/as needed as mine, with a sponge filter and small heater. It is simple and inexpensive to set up. You can cut holes in the lid to accommodate equipment cords.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 75 41.4%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 90 49.7%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.3%
Back