What is happening to my fish??!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I am still waiting for the medicine but the clowns are getting worse real fast.
The one with the infection in the mouth now has many parts striped in red (blood I guess) and one eye is popping out. Also he cannot breathe well and swims always by the surface. I don't think he will make it even if I get the shipping today. The other has the infection spreading in other parts of the mouth. I hope I can at least save him. Incredibly the other fish in the DT seems fine, I assume it is some strain that those clowns are particularly susceptible to. At least I learnt a new lesson: always keep some medicine for emergencies, there is no time for orders, at least here in EU. I also called some LSF around here but they did not sell the seachem producs, I think you need vet prescription for this stuff.
Due to no treatment has likely developed secondary bacterial issues in which the very things you see suggest fish going downhill quickly. This is a stage in which FW dip won’t do a thing

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The clown is getting worse real quick and I did not receive yet the meds. I am quite sure he will not reach tomorrow. Is there a way I can identify the bacteria/diesease that caused this ? I have access to microscope room and molecular lab at uni @vetteguy53081
At this stage, Skin lesions appear and it is not uncommon for signs of secondary bacterial infections to arise, such as redness, clamped fins and fin rot.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah as I said..I suggest to everyone here in EU to get some meds in case one day they will need it because the shipping time for such products is too long and probably will arrive when fish are doomed.
Don't repeat my mistake..

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah as I said..I suggest to everyone here in EU to get some meds in case one day they will need it because the shipping time for such products is too long and probably will arrive when fish are doomed.
Don't repeat my mistake..
Hang in there.

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to update. After 3 courses of esha trimarin still the clowns did not recover and both died. The YWG is still stable, not getting better or worse, the other fish do not seem affected for now.

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry about your clowns :(
Really sad because they looked awesome and were very interactive compared to other fish. But I decided to not get any more fish or corals for some time, at least until I understand what happened. In 2 months I lost 2 fish and 7 frags. Not nice.

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the final line of my experience with those clowns is that it is important to have some meds for your fish always in the closet because if I had the right antibiotics they probabably would have survived.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the final line of my experience with those clowns is that it is important to have some meds for your fish always in the closet because if I had the right antibiotics they probabably would have survived.
Having meds on hand is definitely helpful. It's something I never considered when I got back into the hobby, until the day I was concerned about one of my own. Since then, I regularly visit these threads and read, trying to absorb as much information as I can. So that one day, if the need arrises, I will have the knowledge to react accordingly and confidently. :)

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal is a wealth of knowledge in fish disease!

From my own experience I now quarantine everything. I will never ever put my DT at risk again until I know my fish and coral are fully QT including cuc. It's just not worth the risk

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal is a wealth of knowledge in fish disease!

From my own experience I now quarantine everything. I will never ever put my DT at risk again until I know my fish and coral are fully QT including cuc. It's just not worth the risk
My clowns have been for almost 2 months in the DT before showing signs of disease. In their case QT would have not helped. (Not saying QT is not necessary)

Back