what is the bare minimal cost to upgrade to salt water?

TheOldSalt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heh. I'm seeing a wide amount of variance in these answers.

Okay, so the FIRST thing you need is a GOOD book, or two, on the subject of saltwater tanks. Yes, the internet can eventually give you the answers, but that only helps when you know the QUESTIONS.
1-The Conscientious Marine Aquarist
by Robert Fenner
2-The New Marine Aquarium by Mike Paletta

These are usually easy to find and cheap. They are geared toward reef tanks, but that will save you money later when you want reef books. In the meantime, they cover the basics quite nicely.

40 bucks

NEXT you need salt.

40 bucks.

Next you need a second tank for quarantine, and yes, you NEED a quarantine tank. Saltwater fish are all diseased. Seriously. You'll need this tank, and the barebones stuff needed to run it like heater, filter, lights.

80 bucks.

Next you'll need the stuff needed to run the main tank like heater, TWO filters, and lights.
For just fish, you can use the same equipment you'd use on a freshwater tank.
Most of the other guys here will tell you to go ahead and get better equipment, reef capable stuff, and it's not bad advice at all because you won't have to upgrade later.
HOWEVER, your question was how to start cheap.

100 bucks.

You'll need a thermometer, and a hydrometer.

15 bucks.

Okay, so all total you're around $275.

If you think that you can save money by not getting the quarantine tank, you are wrong. You will spend far more on replacing dead fish than the Q-tank would cost.

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My answer is likely not what you are seeking, but I always say Buy the Best you CANNOT afford. One day it will make sense when your equipment has helped make you successful.
Keep in mind that we need to be ethical as well. Give them the best environment you can provide if you choose to pursue keeping that particular animal.
I have looked to get into marines twice in the last 5 years. The first time ‘on a minimum’ - whilst this worked, to a degree, I found it to be hard work to create the right environment and keep it stable. As such, what was supposed to be enjoyable became a chore and I reverted back to freshwater. This time round I planned and bought the best equipment I could (over several months) but that patience has really paid off - I now have a developing reef and maintaining it is not onerous. Just my experiences - however, it seems logical that the better your set up the better chance you have for success I.e. you may not ‘need’ a sump but 99.9% of people, if given a choice from a ‘standing start’, would have one - what is that saying?

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have looked to get into marines twice in the last 5 years. The first time ‘on a minimum’ - whilst this worked, to a degree, I found it to be hard work to create the right environment and keep it stable. As such, what was supposed to be enjoyable became a chore and I reverted back to freshwater. This time round I planned and bought the best equipment I could (over several months) but that patience has really paid off - I now have a developing reef and maintaining it is not onerous. Just my experiences - however, it seems logical that the better your set up the better chance you have for success I.e. you may not ‘need’ a sump but 99.9% of people, if given a choice from a ‘standing start’, would have one - what is that saying?
Exactly! This is kind of a pay to play hobby. Sure you can get it done on the cheap but for a bit more $, you’ll have a lot less headaches. It’s all about the experience and hobbies are supposed to be something relaxing so why not spend the extra money for your own peace of mind and sanity? Do it right the first time. Buy once cry once. You’ll never enjoy the hobby if you’re constantly struggling and fighting with your equipment.

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bare minimum and cheapest. And fine for fish only
(1) salt. Instant ocean 160 gallon = $ 19.99
(2) refractometer. $11.60
(3) heater. You probably already have
(4) rock. 40lbs = 71.99 (good live rock will give you a good advantage ex. No ugly stages etc)
(5) light. Freshwater light you probably already have
Testing your water and maintaining clean water are definitely not important in this hobby.
The only thing you need to test for on a fish only tank is salinity. Fish don’t really care what your alk is or what the nitrates are nor do you need to test these things with regular water changes. The poster asked what the bare minimum or cheapest route to simply enter the hobby and try it out

Last edited:

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bare minimum and cheapest. And fine for fish only
(1) salt. Instant ocean 160 gallon = $ 19.99
(2) refractometer. $11.60
(3) heater. You probably already have
(4) rock. 40lbs = 71.99 (good live rock will give you a good advantage ex. No ugly stages etc)
(5) light. Freshwater light you probably already have

The only thing you need to test for on a fish only tank is salinity. Fish don’t really care what your alk is or what the nitrates are nor do you need to test these things with regular water changes. The poster asked what the bare minimum or cheapest route to simply enter the hobby and try it out
They will absolutely care when you nitrates start creeping past 100ppm. Ammonia and nitrite are also necessary to test to figure out then the cycle is complete.

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used 29g Biocube with stand 110$ Came with crummy lights and return pump. Cut out their electronics and made big hole in top to sit a black box light on top. 90$
20 pounds aragonite sand 15$
40 pounds dry rock. 10 into overflow. 100$
Heater. Thermometer. Refracrometer. 60$
Salt to last a year 55$. Poly filter 6$
no skimmer. No automation. Replace evaporated water with RODI 180$
Change 20% water every two to three weeks and it’s just like freshwater. Starting up challenging but just let the tank go through its various ugly stages with algaes

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will absolutely care when you nitrates start creeping past 100ppm. Ammonia and nitrite are also necessary to test to figure out then the cycle is complete.
Feed in moderation and stock appropriately. If the tank is not overstocked and over feeding is not an issue nitrates of 100 will not be an issue. If this is an issue you can take a sample to a LFS and have it tested and much cheaper than having testing equipment. If nitrates are high a 50% water change will reduce nitrates in half. Match temp salinity ph and alk. Now don’t get me wrong I test for salinity and temp and have test kits for the big three as well as trace elements but I did not have all of this (or the funds and I have corals) when I first started.
additionally if you are starting with dry rock you do not need tests. You can ghost feed and let the tank cycle for a few months for good measure or bring a water sample to the LFS for a fraction of the cost of buying testing kits Then large water change to reduce nitrates and ready for first fish. If using live rock give it a month for good measure or bring water sample into LFS.

What is sad with this hobby is they make new reefers believe you need to have a few grand to start the hobby (good for business) but is not the case. For example I bought a 110 gallon tank with 55 gallon sump used with stand but need to be plumbed for $150.00. This scares new reefers so they will spend 1000-2000 for a prefabricate system since they are not sure what to do

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly! This is kind of a pay to play hobby. Sure you can get it done on the cheap but for a bit more $, you’ll have a lot less headaches. It’s all about the experience and hobbies are supposed to be something relaxing so why not spend the extra money for your own peace of mind and sanity? Do it right the first time. Buy once cry once. You’ll never enjoy the hobby if you’re constantly struggling and fighting with your equipment.
Not exactly. The founder of BRS started the hobby with a 120gallon reef tank and had no previous experience with a simple HOB filter. Ironically they now make videos supporting and pushing thousands of dollars worth of product. But back then live rock and sand was the filter. For new reefers buy live rock

Last edited:

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not exactly. The founder of BRS started the hobby with a 120gallon reef tank and had no previous experience with a simple HOB filter. Ironically they now make videos supporting and pushing thousands of rallies worth of product. But back then live rock and sand was the filter
For example my DIY $40.00 ATS

3DDF9B6A-BE3A-488D-8726-F18AEA3E6A84.jpeg

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My answer is likely not what you are seeking, but I always say Buy the Best you CANNOT afford. One day it will make sense when your equipment has helped make you successful.
Ain't that the truth?! I have had my tank running for 7 weeks. It's a 15 gallon Nano reef and I have over 3 grand invested into it already. I literally bought almost everything I need and things that aren't necessary but will only help in the long run. I already have 40 corals but ya, it's an expensive hobby no matter how you slice it! Be prepared to miss a mortgage or two lol It's not a hobby you can "do on the cheap".

Screenshot_20200704-103345.png

Last edited:

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For example my DIY $40.00 ATS. These pieces of plastic sell for around $300.00

107E80F0-A2A5-4B44-8FD6-6E045634D067.jpeg

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ain't that the truth?! I have had my tank running for 7 weeks. It's a 15 gallon Nano reef and I have over 3 grand invested into it already. I literally bought almost everything I need and I have 40 corals but ya, it's an expensive hobby! Be prepared to miss a mortgage or two lol It's not a hobby you can "do on the cheap".

Darn That is a lot of money for that you could have this minus half the corals. A new reefer should always be told to start with live rock

FDB94CF1-79CF-434E-A852-6612585A12D3.jpeg

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A new reefer should always be told to start with live rock
I used Dry rock, it has its draw backs as it leaches No3 & PO4 if you don't cure it but it's cheaper than live rock and mainly doesn't come with pests. You can always use PVC but I prefer the natural look of rock.

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Dry rock, it has its draw backs as it leaches No3 & PO4 if you don't cure it but it's cheaper than live rock and mainly doesn't come with pests. You can always use PVC but I prefer the natural look of rock.
Trust me if you are new you will have much less problems with quality live rock and it is much cheaper overall when you add in the cost of all the equipment and other magic potions and fixes you use to get rid of problems you will have with dry rock. Yes live rock has pests but a good dip in high salinity will draw most of the out

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ain't that the truth?! I have had my tank running for 7 weeks. It's a 15 gallon Nano reef and I have over 3 grand invested into it already. I literally bought almost everything I need and things that aren't necessary but will only help in the long run. I already have 40 corals but ya, it's an expensive hobby no matter how you slice it! Be prepared to miss a mortgage or two lol It's not a hobby you can "do on the cheap".

That expense category is sad. It does not have to cost that much we including me have been suckered into supporting businesses

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That expense category is sad. It does not have to cost that much we including me have been suckered into supporting businesses
:( I know! Honestly half of that is corals. I have some really nice show pieces. Jason Fox, Cornbread pieces, rare Gonis and some really nice SPSs. So it's definitely inflated because of that. I should have specified. My bad.

IMG_20200630_183319.jpg IMG_20200630_183244.jpg IMG_20200630_182727.jpg IMG_20200623_194111.jpg IMG_20200623_204633.jpg

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That’s not bad. I have close to 7k in equipment in my 45. Another 8k in my water box 120. That doesn’t count coral and livestock. LOL

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back