What is the most stressful part of keeping a reef that's supposed to reduce stress?!?

Does keeping a reef induce stress or reduce stress in your life?

• Keeping a reef ADDS stress

Votes: 70 13.3%
  • Keeping a reef REDUCES stress

Votes: 108 20.5%
  • A little of both! (please explain)

Votes: 349 66.2%

• Total voters

somethinq else

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me the most stressful thing is having all the expensive live stock in your tank and That at any time they could start dying. You may not even know why or even if you do know why you may not be able to stop it. I have not been there yet but the thought of having to go through that is terrifying
I agree. I had a purple monster electus that I paid 8 grand for....just disappeared for no rhyme or reason. My parameters are perfect...I have other electus they are doing great....ati 6 bulb light supplemented with kessil.....everyone is happy. Came home and purple monster is gone. There goes 8 grand. So do I cry? Or do I laugh it off to keep from crying. I just said oh well. That was the second time with the same type of shroom. Wont get me a third time.

Mpek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll tell you what... Without getting into specifics but being a veteran and dealing with the issues associated with what I've experienced; having a saltwater aquarium has helped me immensely. After going through the major learning curve and messing up at the beginning, I've become a reef addict! Even when something bad happens... Ich, messed up chemistry, gha etc, and 3 massive tank failures... One of which (300 marineland DD) destroyed my home... It's fixed now but took 8 months... Lol. I still love this hobby and see it more as a medical treatment. All of the number chasing is really trivial compared to what you get out of it.

As long as everything is consistent and you allow a proper cycle, the tank pretty much will run itself. Side note : I just completed the WWC method and have to say.... No issues what-so-ever with my 350 build! Just got to keep a calm head when something goes wrong. All in all, it's a stress reliever in my opinion.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great question....

You can get a tax credit for having a tank in the waiting room of your business (e.g., doctor/dentist office)... apparently its been proven to reduces stress.

I definitely feel a sense of calm when I stare at my tank.

However, when it comes to "keeping" a reef tank as the question was worded, I feel like my tank is more stable than I am. I constantly worry about something going wrong. If I hear a noise in the house, I run for the tank to make sure everything is OK. When I am away on vacation, I worry even more.

My system has me on pins and needles for no good reason other than my own fear. Its such a big investment of my time, my money and my pride that I feel stress over the thought of something bad happening.

I need to learn to trust mother nature more in keeping things balanced since it is such a complex ecosystem and I don't fully understand how it all works.
My Dr has freshwater tank with Cichlids & I've been trying to get them to change it to Saltwater for years.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it's stressful going to walk down to the tank checking to make sure all is ok. Thanks it's the to get lost in the tank.

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's amazing when everything is going well, but when you have a slight problem, you worry about the entire tank crashing and losing all the life/money. So it's a 50/50 love hate relationship for me. LOL

Sweet Freddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They say that viewing an aquarium reduces stress but I'm not so sure about that when it comes to us reefers!

Would you say that keeping a saltwater reef aquarium actually induces more stress?

What is THE MOST stressful part of maintaining a reef aquarium?

stress-level.jpg
They say that viewing an aquarium reduces stress but I'm not so sure about that when it comes to us reefers!

Would you say that keeping a saltwater reef aquarium actually induces more stress?

What is THE MOST stressful part of maintaining a reef aquarium?

stress-level.jpg
For me the first 3 years of fighting the diff challenges was stressffull. Now that my reef stays in equilibrium i no longer chase numbers...in fact i do zero water testing other than salinity every now and then. I do minimal maint and change 50% water every month and half. I have no dosers or fancy computer programs but just a nice kessil light set up on program. I spend most my time just watching the reef and fish. You will lose the occasional coral while others thrive. No need to chase numbers. The corals tell you how happy they are.

Neil S.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef keeping requires just enough focus that you don't tend to think about other things while you're working on the system. This helps to relax and reduce daily stress.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stress relief comes from the beauty, routine, and fulfillment.

The stress comes from the fact that it can be alive and beautiful in my dining room
OR it can be dead, festering, and toxic in my dining room ;Joyful

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been the most stress relieving thing ever in my life as well as one of the most stressful things ever. I love buying new coral and growing it out. Fighting with things like dino, cyano, nudibranchs make it so so so stressful its crazy. All in all it's more stress relieving for me

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reduce stress... Watchings things change everyday. Feeding pets
Adds stress.. not having things like ato and.dosing automized. Learning about parameters and what is essential. (Could be reduce stress too, eventually getting control). Figuring out coral maladies is stressful.. could be a waste of purchase.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted both. I find normal tank maintenance to be a form of stress reliever. I enjoy every aspect of the hobby. Of course, just watching the tanks and interacting with the fish is a huge stress reliever. On the other hand, when the real world encroaches, and I'm unable to do the things I think I "need" to do with the tanks or when there's a major equipment malfunction, I can get pretty stressed out.

JoeJoesonoma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my reef tank up and running for 3 yrs now and i have to say its helps me focus and stay calm after a rough day....but on the other hand....going on vacations and constantly thinking about what could happen when im not around is where my stress os created.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 110 43.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 122 47.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.1%
Back