What is this?!?!?!

David Reiche

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are new to the saltwater arena, and during our third week this little creature appeared. Does anyone know what this is?

IMG_0622.jpg

We have nassarius snails, ninja snails, periwinkle snails, emerald crabs, red leg hermit crabs, real reef live rock , three type of coral, and two clown fish.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a nudibranch, what type of corals do you have specifically?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoanthids/looks like it could be Green Bay Packers or Radioactive Dragon eyes.
Clavularia/clove polyps.
Briareum/Green Star Polyps.

Agreed remove the nudibranch, but not sure what corals or algae it might be eating.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nudibrachs all have very specific diets. This one is on more than likely a zoa eating one. You will have to dip your corals or keep an eye out for more.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a lot of them eat corals for a living. They are very difficult to identify so unless you know where it came from and what kind it is chuck it. I had some come in on a soft coral once and didn't see them until they hatched and ate half the colony. Better safe than sorry.

OP
OP
David Reiche

David Reiche

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a lot of them eat corals for a living. They are very difficult to identify so unless you know where it came from and what kind it is chuck it. I had some come in on a soft coral once and didn't see them until they hatched and ate half the colony. Better safe than sorry.
WOW!! Sorry to hear about your colony.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just judging by the corals you showed to be zoa eating. Dipping repeatedly over time will get all the hatchlings. Search for Bayer dip or use flatworm exit. Good luck. I found one once too. I added a new zoa colony, so just made sure to treat tank with flatworm exit repeatedly. No issues. This is only a 6g tank though and is filled with zoa and rock nems.

OP
OP
David Reiche

David Reiche

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just judging by the corals you showed to be zoa eating. Dipping repeatedly over time will get all the hatchlings. Search for Bayer dip or use flatworm exit. Good luck. I found one once too. I added a new zoa colony, so just made sure to treat tank with flatworm exit repeatedly. No issues. This is only a 6g tank though and is filled with zoa and rock nems.
Thanks for the information. We will make a trip to the fish store today.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would inspect the Zoanthid piece for others, look at night after lights off as well. I would not treat the tank yet, but I would dip the coral in Bayer (please google specific type of Bayer and dipping protocal). Inspect the piece for eggs with which are a spiral formation. Manually remove eggs with a Q-tip and recheck frag again for eggs or nudibranch in a couple days.

OP
OP
David Reiche

David Reiche

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would inspect the Zoanthid piece for others, look at night after lights off as well. I would not treat the tank yet, but I would dip the coral in Bayer (please google specific type of Bayer and dipping protocal). Inspect the piece for eggs with which are a spiral formation. Manually remove eggs with a Q-tip and recheck frag again for eggs or nudibranch in a couple days.
This thing likes to hang by the Zoanthid piece, and that is where he has reappeared. My wife is attempting to extract it now.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back