What kind of brittle star is this?

mihkey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We just got this big guy from our local pet store and I just want to be sure what kind he is, so I don’t have to worry about my clownfish. I’m really hoping he’s not a green brittle, but the pet store said he was a fancy brittle starfish.
Thank you:)
Ashley

IMG_0206.jpeg IMG_0212.jpeg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are no kinds, its just a brittlestar. Same as a serpent star, it will eat small fishes like clown gobies, neon gobies, masked gobies, etc.... It hunts and eats them while they sleep.

Clownfish or regular size fish are safe, don't worry.

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are no kinds, its just a brittlestar. Same as a serpent star, it will eat small fishes like clown gobies, neon gobies, masked gobies, etc.... It hunts and eats them while they sleep.

Clownfish or regular size fish are safe, don't worry.
You mean only one species? Nah, surely not.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean only one species? Nah, surely not.
you are right, I spoke to soon.
"The Ophiuroidea contain two large clades, Ophiurida (brittle stars) and Euryalida (basket stars). Over 2,000 species of brittle stars live today.[1] More than 1,200 of these species are found in deep waters, greater than 200 m deep.[1]"

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks green, and it looks big, so I'll say it's a giant green unfortunately... They'll be fine for a while until they find where your fish sleeps. From what I gather, all other brittle and serpent stars are 100% fish safe unless the fish is already on death's door and has started to stink.

The giant green brittle is the only large species of brittle found in the hobby, and it's also the only green one, so it should be pretty easy to identify. I can't really see the color in these photos though.

OP
OP
M

mihkey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks green, and it looks big, so I'll say it's a giant green unfortunately... They'll be fine for a while until they find where your fish sleeps. From what I gather, all other brittle and serpent stars are 100% fish safe unless the fish is already on death's door and has started to stink.

The giant green brittle is the only large species of brittle found in the hobby, and it's also the only green one, so it should be pretty easy to identify. I can't really see the color in these photos though.

Attachments

• IMG_0219.jpeg
    IMG_0219.jpeg
    144 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0215.jpeg
    IMG_0215.jpeg
    143.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0217.jpeg
    IMG_0217.jpeg
    133.8 KB · Views: 32

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that's a green brittle, I would banish it to the sump if I were you... Not worth the risk. It's such a cool animal though.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back