What methods do you use to maintain the cleanliness of your aquarium tools?

What's your method to clean all the tools?

• Occasionally, I let my fish give the tools a lick

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Olefreebe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maintaining cleanliness in our hobby involves a comprehensive approach to caring for our tools. From tongs to feeding bowls, each piece plays a crucial role in ensuring the well-being of our pets. Therefore, establishing a thorough cleaning routine is essential.
Let's delve into the specifics. Tongs, for instance, are not just tools for handling food but also instrumental in maintaining a hygienic environment within the enclosure. Cleaning them regularly, ensuring no food residue remains, is imperative for preventing bacterial growth. Similarly, testing vials, used for monitoring water parameters, demand meticulous cleaning to ensure accurate readings and prevent contamination.
Brushes and scrapers are indispensable for maintaining substrate cleanliness and removing debris from surfaces. Regularly sanitizing these tools not only prolongs their lifespan but also prevents the spread of harmful pathogens. Feeding bowls, often overlooked, should be cleaned after every use to prevent mold or bacterial growth, which could jeopardize the health of our pets.
In essence, a conscientious approach to cleaning our tools not only safeguards the health of our pets but also enhances the overall experience of the hobby.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just rinse everything with tap water. If it's metal, I'll dry it, if it's something that I don't want water spots on (ie Hanna test vials) I'll rinse it with RODI, but that's about it.

I feel like you're overthinking this. What pathogens are you worried about harboring on an algae scraper that's going to be bone dry for days or weeks in between uses? Granted, you probably don't want to leave chunks of food in wedged into the hinge on your tongs just like you wouldn't want to clean a skimmer and toss the brush in a cabinet without cleaning it, but as long as you rinse everything off and allow it to fully dry, I don't expect you're going to run into a lot of problems.

Don't get me wrong, maintenance is a big part of the hobby, but I don't think you have to worry about sanitizing everything.

Your post reads more like facts than questions. Are you asking if these are things that should be done or telling us that these are things that must be done? I only ask because if this post is meant to teach, some cites would be helpful.

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This says alot

Attachments

• 17150847577273683602885258765073.jpg
    17150847577273683602885258765073.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
Olefreebe

Olefreebe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your post reads more like facts than questions. Are you asking if these are things that should be done or telling us that these are things that must be done? I only ask because if this post is meant to teach, some cites would be helpful.
These are mainly facts and opinions that I read while looking over some of my older tools and equipment. Just wanted some other people's opinions. I didn't think many would go to the extremes that are mentioned. I myself use elbow grease, dishwasher, and procrastination...

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you have something metal with a joint like scissors, clean it and then rinse with isopropyl alcohol. The alcohol displaces the water and evaporates quickly.

Coat lightly with a reef safe oil to prevent rust. Not crazy enough for you yet? Store in a sealed container with desiccant.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just rinse everything with tap water. If it's metal, I'll dry it, if it's something that I don't want water spots on (ie Hanna test vials) I'll rinse it with RODI, but that's about it.
^This for me ^
I'd argue it says nothing.
What is it?
It's a set of feeding tongs meant for reptiles that rust when used in salt water and not rinsed and dried after each use. They look just like mine :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 91 41.9%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 108 49.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.2%
Back