What outdoor temp is it safe to ship fish?

LilsReefTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in VA and we are in winter at the moment. Outdoor temps ranges from 30 - 50F.

I have been totally obsessed with a queen angelfish. I finally found one online and the size is perfect for my tank.

Will this be safe for the fish? Or should I wait until spring? She's quite expensive so I don't want to risk it if 30 is too cold. Anyone have experience in this area?

kweigum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live in wyoming…. Pretty brutal winters. If you have temps sustained over 30 I wouldn’t see a problem. Obviously just don’t order if snow is in the forecast…. And tell the seller it’s cold! Only issues I’ve had is with poor communication with seller and they decide to just ship when it’s convenient for them…. I.e most of the big sellers like live aquaria….. have recieved fish in single digits that were ok but def wouldn’t recommend that!

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live in wyoming…. Pretty brutal winters. If you have temps sustained over 30 I wouldn’t see a problem. Obviously just don’t order if snow is in the forecast…. And tell the seller it’s cold! Only issues I’ve had is with poor communication with seller and they decide to just ship when it’s convenient for them…. I.e most of the big sellers like live aquaria….. have recieved fish in single digits that were ok but def wouldn’t recommend that!

same here living in wyoming its cold and nasty winters out here.

OP also good to think about is how long of a drive to your door from the nearest fed ex/UPS depo I lost a ton of fish last winter due to this. even with extra heat pack and backing in the box.
from the depo to my door would be 3-4 hours in the truck. next order of fish i will be driving 1hr each way to the depo to pick up the package.
something to think about.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. I'm in central Iowa. I wouldn't have ordered fish or inverts for that matter, to be shipped when we had - high temps and -40 windchill... but I had fish shipped this weekend because we got above 30. And because I make sure to watch the tracking and be at the door ready to accept delivery as soon as they bring the box to my door. I also stick with vendors who won't ship in unsafe temps, heat OR cold.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’d wait until spring I’m in Pennsylvania and a lot of sellers say anything under 50-60 F isn’t good or they won’t ship it/void the guarantee. It’s cold here too and if it’s coming from a warmer location say Florida then it’s very stressful for the livestock…even though there’s DOA policies I feel bad when livestock dies…and since there’s been a lot of shipping delays overnight isn’t always overnight especially now.

Last edited:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 30.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 35 25.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back