What sand do you use?

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to switch up my sand and was curious what others use. I am thinking something not too large such as crushed coral however.

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropic Eden Reef Flakes are my favorite. Works great for wrasses and isn't so small my vortechs blow it around.

I find Tropic Eden also makes one of the most homogeneous sands I've used.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the aragalive special grade. There is a great thread out there about low par in which there is a video linked from MACNA. The speaker suggests that if your sand bed is not getting moved around a little by your flow then you don't have enough. The aragalive special grade is great for high flow IMO.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone here use black sand?

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropic Eden Reef Flakes - fantastic size, don't get blown around, even under heavy flow.
It's confusing, it says to rinse it yet it has beneficial organisms? How does that work?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone here use black sand?
I've used the (CaribSea - Hawaiian Black Arag-Alive - Live Reef Sand) in the past :)

Do you have any questions about it?

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used the (CaribSea - Hawaiian Black Arag-Alive - Live Reef Sand) in the past :)

Do you have any questions about it?
Do you have any pictures of it under moonlight leds? Curious if it will still pop. Did you have any complaints?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any pictures of it under moonlight leds? Curious if it will still pop. Did you have any complaints?
No pictures. Been running BB for over a year and a half.
I have no complaints :).
If you want black get that one. Other brands are known the have metal particles in them and will cling to a magnet :eek:

It also has white speckles in it too, that makes a really nice look. It's not too small grained like others that blow all over the place. It's still the right size for sand sifter's like Diamond Golby's.

It also has a cleaner sand bed look as it gets older than white sand.

It darkens down your over all tank brightness because black sand absorbs light and white sand reflects it back.

If your have bright LPS corals it makes then POP. It's like your seeing frags on the black egg crate under leds making the frags glow at the bottom.

If you want coral colors to have more POP and don't mind a dimmer looking tank it's really good stuff. :)

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No pictures. Been running BB for over a year and a half.
I have no complaints :).
If you want black get that one. Other brands are known the have metal particles in them and will cling to a magnet :eek:

It also has white speckles in it too, that makes a really nice look. It's not too small grained like others that blow all over the place. It's still the right size for sand sifter's like Diamond Golby's.

It also has a cleaner sand bed look as it gets older than white sand.

It darkens down your over all tank brightness because black sand absorbs light and white sand reflects it back.

If your have bright LPS corals it makes then POP. It's like your seeing frags on the black egg crate under leds making the frags glow at the bottom.

If you want coral colors to have more POP and don't mind a dimmer looking tank it's really good stuff. :)
Great. As long as it's not too thick to be sand sifted. I think black might be a nice different look. Thanks for all the feedback. Do you think I should do a 1 or 2 inch deep sand bed? My tank is 65 gallons if that helps.. not sure how many bags to pick up

Hyde2406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told the black would fade, not sure if this is true or not but went with fiji "pink" wish I hadn't powder fine and on every freaking rock, coral, is everywhere! Wish I had gone bare bottom with black starboard on the bottom same black look but no fluff, think my pink spot goby and pistol shrimp might get upset but IT'S EVERYWHERE

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told the black would fade, not sure if this is true or not but went with fiji "pink" wish I hadn't powder fine and on every freaking rock, coral, is everywhere! Wish I had gone bare bottom with black starboard on the bottom same black look but no fluff, think my pink spot goby and pistol shrimp might get upset but IT'S EVERYWHERE
Whatever I used, is also getting pushed everywhere by my pistol shrimp. Hopefully the black doesn't fade.. wonder what it would even fade to?

Hyde2406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure the guy showed me two tanks one just looked older and yes faded but are the lights the same who knows I just went with the fluffy stuff

Siasl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's confusing, it says to rinse it yet it has beneficial organisms? How does that work?

I think they have a bio-active version, but I have never used that. Just the regular version - premium aquatics sells it.

I am quite guilty of not rinsing the sand, but never have had any dust problems in starting 3 tanks with it (a 50, 100, and 500 gallon)

Mpierce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carib sea special grade, I like the 1-2mm grain size so it doesn't get blown around as easily.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great. As long as it's not too thick to be sand sifted. I think black might be a nice different look. Thanks for all the feedback. Do you think I should do a 1 or 2 inch deep sand bed? My tank is 65 gallons if that helps.. not sure how many bags to pick up
It's fine with sand sifters :) My Diamond Golby never skipped a beat when I went with the black.
It dose give a nice different look. If I went back to a sand bed it would the black Hawaiian.
I'd go 1 to 1-1/4" deep.
2" was always too deep for my likings (Keeping it vacuumed) but that's JMO :)

haanstang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the largest size that will still work for a full grown Dimond golby?
Do they make a crushed coral small enough for Diamond Golby?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back