what should i use for supplements

jestr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok what i am running for attinics right now is 2 of my 6 tek t5s with giesman pure attinics and just there reg blue attinics. i want to just run all 6 of my t5s (2 ready kits 1 retro. with 4 blues 1 aqua blue and 1 purple) plus i miss the shimmer of my mhs that i had to remove.. do to spacing i will be mounting my led strips in the front of the hood pointing kinda back diag. ive been looking at all these led strips and its giving my a headache lol.. im looking for something maybe around the same color as 1 blue and purple give me or with all the lights on. what would you suggest?? one reason im wanting to do this so i can also replace all my t5s at one time instead of different times since i run my attinics prob to long ;)

Anthony Calfo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice is to go for the warmest light you can stand, because most all reef designed bulbs have excessive blue (read: more than needed and at the expense of light in the spectrum that could otherwise be used for growth).

Now, not everyone wants maximum growth. If you are inclined to stock your tank heavily, you are better suited to have a heavy blue component.

But for readers in general, I'm saying have peace of mind that the warmest lights you can find still have enough cool spectra...the cooler you go, you do so solely for aesthetics and largely at the expense of better growth.

OP
OP
J

jestr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont really care about growth as much as look esp since i just took out an aqua blue because my wife said the tank was to much white and i had some corals bleaching since my t5s sit about 7 inches above the water.. i bought my tank and coral for pleasure not profit ;) lol.. and i do feel i stepped up a bit since i was running attinic vhos and 20k 250w mh with xm bulbs

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going for shimmer effect I tried 2 Stunner Strips on my 4' 120g and I didn't get any shimmer as they stated. Maybe I just didn't add enough but I am one of those who doesn't like a lot of blue so I am not going to add any more.

Anthony Calfo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not about profit my friend. You know, you can't have them live in perfect stasis...a suspended animation of beauty in the condition you buy them XD There must be some growth of new tissue, death of old, damaged, etc

It is quite possible to give "too much blue" as folks commonly do in garden reef tanks of random mixed species (including very shallow water ones) but held in a tank ala "deepwater" (extreme blue).

The problem is that most folks do not recognize "extreme blue" (read: not supporting zooxanthellate life forms here adequately) as being as extreme as popular choices (many lamps over 10k K)

OP
OP
J

jestr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it was a joke obviously a bad one that wasnt taken so.. thanks skinz im thinking the 50 50 might be my ticket or 2 of them and one blue.. i dont want a deap blue tank thanks why i said close to my color i have now with my 6 bulb combo i dislike it when i see the un natural look of corals under the extreme uv led tanks

RonMidtownStomp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get fantastically high PAR results and great growth from 20K Radiums which peak at 450nm according to Sanjay's light tests. As long as you're getting adequate PAR results with your primary lighting you should be able to supplement with whatever gives you the look that you want. I really want to try supplementing my Radiums with LEDs and I have the same question. Since the most used blue 3W Crees seem to be 450nm also, I'm wondering if they would be beneficial with the Radiums or if what I really want is something more like a 405 or 406nm to really give more pop.

OP
OP
J

jestr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no one have any ideas??? does any one know what the blues for reefbrite are rated???

Reefer831

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get shimmer from my Reef Bright LED's......I think they have the best blue and the 50/50 is nice and purple.....if you need some pics look at my eye candy thread, I have been running reef bright since there first shipment... 2 50/50 might be way to purple 2 blues and 1 50/50 is my favorite way to view and shoot photos of my tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jestr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you sir will check out your pics when the wife gets home so she can tell me what she thinks.. dont reefbrites also come with brackets to mount them???

Reefer831

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes but you can also get the ones they make if you are going to go all reef bright, the one I have is a prototype I think the one that is for sale is a lil nicer....if you need any pics with different light combos on let me know I have 2 blue 2 white and 1 50/50...you can also check out my recent you tube video I think I shot that with 2 blue and 1 50/50
[video=youtube;6XDsurkJd7A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XDsurkJd7A[/video]

IMG_1977.jpg

IMG_1978.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jestr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about one blue and one 50/50 since i only really have room for 2 bulbs and maybe one with two blues???

Reefer831

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I cant do it tonight cause Vday LOL my lady would kill me, but I will get one for you tomorrow....what combo do you want?

OP
OP
J

jestr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
let me start off and say i really appreciate this.. you said the 50 50 might be too purple right?? well for actinics i now run one purple and one blue. i would love to see that and both blue.. with the hood i have i fig i have to run maybe 2 strips to produce enough light from the front of the tank to the back and i will switch all my t5s to a 5 hour a day run cycle to make it easier to control bulb replacement

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"let me start off and say i really appreciate this.. you said the 50 50 might be too purple right?? well for actinics i now run one purple and one blue. i would love to see that and both blue.. with the hood i have i fig i have to run maybe 2 strips to produce enough light from the front of the tank to the back and i will switch all my t5s to a 5 hour a day run cycle to make it easier to control bulb replacement"

Did someone say pics? Cause this post is worthless without them ;)

OP
OP
J

jestr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey reefer ab;e to pull off pics.. i almost forgot about this been mad busy

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back