what to do next for cycling

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on day 17 of the cycling process. I just tested my water. all my levels are fine now. I retested this twice to verify my levels.
PH - 8
ammonia 0
NO2 - 0
NO3- 0
even though it appears this way for now. should I start ghost feeding? or don't do any thing at all.
I won't do a water change for either the end of the cycle or atleast wait til the 28th day of the cycle where I will change the water not sure what percentage I need to change either? i'm not even sure if I have or will have diatoms. when I look at the sand it looks Like I do. but then I also think it could be the shadow from the rocks. I think my rocks have diatoms but not sure will put pics on another post attached.

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on day 17 of the cycling process. I just tested my water. all my levels are fine now. I retested this twice to verify my levels.
PH - 8
ammonia 0
NO2 - 0
NO3- 0
even though it appears this way for now. should I start ghost feeding? or don't do any thing at all.
I won't do a water change for either the end of the cycle or atleast wait til the 28th day of the cycle where I will change the water not sure what percentage I need to change either? i'm not even sure if I have or will have diatoms. when I look at the sand it looks Like I do. but then I also think it could be the shadow from the rocks. I think my rocks have diatoms but not sure will put pics on another post attached.

P_20180421_195445.jpg

P_20180421_195404.jpg

P_20180421_195409.jpg

P_20180421_195445.jpg

P_20180421_195435.jpg

P_20180421_195432.jpg

P_20180421_195427.jpg

P_20180421_195421.jpg

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your not even showing any nitrates, so i don't think your cycle had even started. If it was going and had reduced your ammonia and nitrites to zero, there would be nitrates present. You need an ammonia source... ghost feed or diffuser pure ammonia to 2ppm and then let it go do its thing.

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your not even showing any nitrates, so i don't think your cycle had even started. If it was going and had reduced your ammonia and nitrites to zero, there would be nitrates present. You need an ammonia source... ghost feed or diffuser pure ammonia to 2ppm and then let it go do its thing.
I am ghost feeding stared today. So I'm waiting to see if I get an ammonia labels. If ghost feeding won't do the job then I'll do pure ammonia. Ill go to ace hard ware for ammonia on Monday.

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever have measurable amounts of amonia or no2?
I have had measuring amounts of ammonia and no2 and no3. I'm ghost feeding today. I might switch to ammonia. I have always save all purpose cleaner. which is the brand and contents of it is aammon hydroxide and surfactant. I don't think u should use it might hit ace hardware tomorrow and get ace hardware ammonia. Unless If I can use this always save brand.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had measuring amounts of ammonia and no2 and no3. I'm ghost feeding today. I might switch to ammonia. I have always save all purpose cleaner. which is the brand and contents of it is aammon hydroxide and surfactant. I don't think u should use it might hit ace hardware tomorrow and get ace hardware ammonia. Unless If I can use this always save brand.
I used ace ammonia and dosed to 2 ppm. I am about 3 weeks into cycle. Can process 2 ppm ammonia in 24 hours now nitrites are still high. My nitrates peaked at 20.

Also daily dosing MB7

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am ghost feeding stared today. So I'm waiting to see if I get an ammonia labels. If ghost feeding won't do the job then I'll do pure ammonia. Ill go to ace hard ware for ammonia on Monday.
I like using pure ammonia since you can set a precise amount (2ppm) and monitor when it is processed.

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like using pure ammonia since you can set a precise amount (2ppm) and monitor when it is processed.
Found pure ammonia at menards. so I got that and put some in to the tank to 2 ppm or a little bit more. but not to much more. I'm going to check the nitrate and nitrates level this evening to give it some time to build up.

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found pure ammonia at menards. so I got that and put some in to the tank to 2 ppm or a little bit more. but not to much more. I'm going to check the nitrate and nitrates level this evening to give it some time to build up.
Good plan! After the ammonia goes away, dose back up to 1ppm and watch how long it takes the system to clear it.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The waiting game begins. Took me about 2 weeks to show nitrite. Now it feels like it's taking forever for nitrite to drop.

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The waiting game begins. Took me about 2 weeks to show nitrite. Now it feels like it's taking forever for nitrite to drop.
I had nitrates before it stalled on me. I busted tested it and have low no2 and NO3 IS AT 40PPM. So its like picking up were it left off. Ill give it another 12 hours and see where my ammonia levels are at.

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good plan! After the ammonia goes away, dose back up to 1ppm and watch how long it takes the system to clear it.
I had 0 ammonia this morning when I woke up. so I dosed it with ammonia with 1 ppm. tested the water for ammonia after that and it showed 1 ppm before I left and then when I got home. it showed I had no ammonia when I tested it. not sure where to go from here dose it with another 1 ppm or 2 ppm

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your nutrient levels went up and then down in order your cycle is complete. Ghost feed or it will crash.
Adding ammonia is crazy, you might as well pee in the tank

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know for a fact my cycle isn't done. I am only on day 20 of the cycle. no way could it be close to being done. I haven't even seen diatoms yet. atleast I don't think I have.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What waste did you put in to start the cycle?
Since we know you haven’t been ghost feeding til now

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you see ammonia go up, then nitrite, then nitrate?

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't tested any the NO2 OR NO3 yet today. but what happened on Saturday. I was showing no ammonia and no nitrate and no nitrate so I put ammonia in there to get it going. now i'll just ghost feed the tank

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back