what to do next for cycling

U

User1

View Badges
I think the reasoning to wait to test for nitrates until nitrites are zero is because most nitrate test kits also count the nitrites as part of the nitrate result.

Thanks for the clarification. I was guilty of testing for it during my cycle until I came across that somewhere here on the board. It stuck with me.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the clarification. I was guilty of testing for it during my cycle until I came across that somewhere here on the board. It stuck with me.
Shoot... during my cycle, i tested gor ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate almost daily after about 2 weeks. Didn't need to, but liked watching the numbers and how the cycle progressed.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrites present shoes that those bacteria are still populating, so the tank is still kind of cycling. But if you can process 2ppm ammonia in 24hrs, then you are well on your way and the system should be safe for a fish. Nitrites aren't harmful to marine fish like freshwater fish. Check nitrates as well... which should test higher (nutrate test kits usually combine bith nitrates and nitrites into the results). If really high, a big water change might help before introducing fish.
Sweet thanks for the info. Good to know.

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the reasoning to wait to test for nitrates until nitrites are zero is because most nitrate test kits also count the nitrites as part of the nitrate result.
I retested this morning. ammonia was down fron 2.0ppm to 0. NO2 - 5 NO3-10. so I think I'm almost ready to do a small water change this Saturday after I get back from the dealership. and then maybe recheck it for a week and then by then get a fish or 2. but what I really want to do is get some frags first and add some color to it first. and live plants for to put in the background sometime also. but if I should get a fish or 2 first then It is a must.... your recommendations?

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I retested this morning. ammonia was down fron 2.0ppm to 0. NO2 - 5 NO3-10. so I think I'm almost ready to do a small water change this Saturday after I get back from the dealership. and then maybe recheck it for a week and then by then get a fish or 2. but what I really want to do is get some frags first and add some color to it first. and live plants for to put in the background sometime also. but if I should get a fish or 2 first then It is a must.... your recommendations?
I'd get a fish in there to keep the biological bacterial filter developing.

Make sure you dip those corals, though.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd get a fish in there to keep the biological bacterial filter developing.

Make sure you dip those corals, though.
Is it a must to put fish in?

I'm about at the same point. Obviously don't want bacteria to die off but wanted things to stabilize before fish

I've the nitrifying bacteria will just go dormant?

Continue to dose ammonia if tank isn't ready for fish ?

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a must to put fish in?

I'm about at the same point. Obviously don't want bacteria to die off but wanted things to stabilize before fish

I've the nitrifying bacteria will just go dormant?

Continue to dose ammonia if tank isn't ready for fish ?

I've also read that the bacteria will go dormant. But, there are gong to be very few anyhow. Depends when you are expecting to add fish. If its a long time, I'd keep dosing a little ammonia or ghost feed the tank every so often. If you are cycled, why aren't you ready for a fish yet?

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also read that the bacteria will go dormant. But, there are gong to be very few anyhow. Depends when you are expecting to add fish. If its a long time, I'd keep dosing a little ammonia or ghost feed the tank every so often. If you are cycled, why aren't you ready for a fish yet?
Still have high nitrite although I have just recently learned it's not toxic to marine fish. I suppose I just wanted to make sure values are going to continue to fluctuate a lot

My nitrates have been solid 20 for weeks. I guess really I could do a 50% wc and it's ready ?

Sorry to the OP for stealing your thread ;)

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still have high nitrite although I have just recently learned it's not toxic to marine fish. I suppose I just wanted to make sure values are going to continue to fluctuate a lot

My nitrates have been solid 20 for weeks. I guess really I could do a 50% wc and it's ready ?

Sorry to the OP for stealing your thread ;)
Yes, a WC will reduce the nitrates, but 20ppm isn't toxic to fish. If your phosphates are up, you will get some algae growth with the nitrates, though.

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, a WC will reduce the nitrates, but 20ppm isn't toxic to fish. If your phosphates are up, you will get some algae growth with the nitrates, though.
won't increasing the flow of water help also? I made the mistake of putting 2 circulation pumps from aqueon 950. that's when I lost all NO2 and NO3 last Saturday. it might of been to much for the tank. I am however looking at Macro algea today since it's really slow. don't feel like doing the job today.

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
won't increasing the flow of water help also? I made the mistake of putting 2 circulation pumps from aqueon 950. that's when I lost all NO2 and NO3 last Saturday. it might of been to much for the tank. I am however looking at Macro algea today since it's really slow. don't feel like doing the job today.

Increased water flow alone won't decrease the amount of nitrates. The only way they will go away is by:
1. Water change to remove them
2. The eventual buildup of anaerobic bacteria deep in the rocks that will convert the nitrate to nitrogen gas.
3. Uptake of thr nitrate by corals and algaes in the tank.

Since your tank is so young and you didn't do a water change, that eliminates #1 & #2...so, #3 is occurring in your tank.

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Increased water flow alone won't decrease the amount of nitrates. The only way they will go away is by:
1. Water change to remove them
2. The eventual buildup of anaerobic bacteria deep in the rocks that will convert the nitrate to nitrogen gas.
3. Uptake of thr nitrate by corals and algaes in the tank.

Since your tank is so young and you didn't do a water change, that eliminates #1 & #2...so, #3 is occurring in your tank.
I took part of my lid off and tested an hour later and noticed a drop. would having a lid that doesn't let the nitrogen out effect the levels? I don't think it would but you never know either.

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took part of my lid off and tested an hour later and noticed a drop. would having a lid that doesn't let the nitrogen out effect the levels? I don't think it would but you never know either.
I don't think that would have an effect on your system since i really doubt your system is actually producing nitrogen gas since so young in the age of the tank. An enclosed top could limit gas exchange probably... you need that surface tension break to get oxygen into the water.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't think flow or lids have any bearing. Things like macro algae or bacteria can consume these things but I don't know about flow

I have been running two 1050 gph wave pumps and around 1000gph return pump since the get go

I still have high nitrite and some phosphate. Odd thing is after having a serious algae bloom, in the last couple days the diatoms have receded drastically

Don't if it is any relation to adding chaeto or just coincidence

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wasn't worried about the nitrate moreso with nitrite.

I do have some phosphate but algae has suddenly begun to recede drastically

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what I might do is put some live plants in my hob and let it filter out the nitrates or maybe a sponge in the tank plus some frags for color.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what I might do is put some live plants in my hob and let it filter out the nitrates or maybe a sponge in the tank plus some frags for color.
Will be interested to see how that works.

I currently have two softball size balls or chaeto in my fuge as well as a brightwell no3 plate

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be interested to see how that works.

I currently have two softball size balls or chaeto in my fuge as well as a brightwell no3 plate
I don't have room for a fuge so I probably will do a DIY filter for nitrate and Nitrites in the near future. maybe next Saturday. Ill be spending this Saturday waiting at the dealership for my car to be fixed. so this weekend is out.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have room for a fuge so I probably will do a DIY filter for nitrate and Nitrites in the near future. maybe next Saturday. Ill be spending this Saturday waiting at the dealership for my car to be fixed. so this weekend is out.
Nitrite will go away on its own as it's converted to nitrate

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that would have an effect on your system since i really doubt your system is actually producing nitrogen gas since so young in the age of the tank. An enclosed top could limit gas exchange probably... you need that surface tension break to get oxygen into the water.
tested my tank this evening. 1st I dosed the ammonia to 2 ppm this morning before I left for the dungeon. and for got to test NO2 and NO3. but this evening my readings are:
PH - 8 ppm
ammonia - 0
NO2 -5 ppm
NO3 -10 ppm.
I'm not going to dose with ammonia tomorrow at all or the rest of tonight. to see where we are at come this time tomorrow and Saturday morning before I leave on NO2 and NO3. I'm not to worried about stalling the whole process at this point. since i'm buying a fish this weekend or 2. but no more. will make another post. haeto v

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back