What to do with Aquarium Heaters & Controllers?

droidus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 Eheim Jager Aquarium Thermostat Heaters, 50W. I know that 2 of them, I am not able to calibrate. I recently moved across country with them. They were working fine before, but now are inaccurate/inconsistent at best. It has me worried because I am afraid of the swings, or the temp. getting too high/low. Is there any reason moving across country could have somehow affected them in this manner?
I was looking at replacements/different brands here, but it seems like a lot of people like them. I am not sure if I should just buy new ones, or switch to a different brand.
As I was reading through the posts, I saw mention of controllers (ie for the temperature). Would that be a workaround for the broken water heaters? Instead of relying on the water heater to turn on/off, have a controller do that work? Or would it be smarter to purchase new ones altogether?
FYI, I have a 32 G biocube tank!

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A controller is great protection against a heater that fails, but its not a work around in the sense you can still use a broken heater. Replace those heaters !

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
eheim is very good with replacing heaters ,would try to contact,rt now ??,in recent past they will ask for pic,and then pic w cord cut off ,and send replacement,worth a try ;)

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also vote for replacing them now. Keep hold of those old ones though. A 50w heater is about perfect size to bring a 5gal bucket of water change water up to the right temp, or close enough too it (as these ones may not be spot-on accurate)

Tonmz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A controller is great protection against a heater that fails, but its not a work around in the sense you can still use a broken heater. Replace those heaters !
Can I buy any controller and heater and assume they are compatible and do all heaters come with ports to plug into controllers?

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.5%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.0%
Back