What type of algae is this. Overtaking my tank

LordNecro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been dealing with algae for a few weeks and it’s gotten way out of hand recently. Tank is a little over 3 months old. I tried manually removing and scraped it off the glass a week ago but it’s taking over my rock. At first I thought it would be okay and hoped my cuc would deal with it but I haven’t seen anything pick at it at all. What can I do?

B79C455A-5760-4700-8FE1-D87E6C87C886.jpeg 011F69B9-67EE-4CB5-857A-C3C02A9E97BE.jpeg

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You appear to have a bad case of GHA (Green Hair Algae). From my experience, this happens when nitrates are too high, and not enough water changes are being made or having an inadequate CUC. If you want to get rid of it immediately I would use a toothbrush to scrub it off and start increasing water changes.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many gallons

we have an easy way to fix that if the tank isn’t too large

shamin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would pull out the rock and scrub it with a toothbrush and run some tank water over the rock as you scrub to remove it.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no better fix than a full rip clean top to bottom, new water, clean sand no invasion

in two hours work you circumvent months or weeks of wait, looks for the tank you dont want

you aren’t required to do water only waiting. You have the option of fixed by nine pm tonite. We have a 36 page thread of it using a certain cleaning order, this separate one below has nice pics on the last page of a good clean and skip cycle rebuild.

all of the reefs cleaned there, skip cycle full cleans.

There isn’t a better fix for a nano, it reverse-ages them to cause a reef storm in just the right way. AmaleeC was resolved on the last page, she owns 3x that size tank and opted for the hard work now vs maybe something works by november option set

scan down this last page of rip cleans to see our most recent ulva invasion defeats, and new tank uglies defeats.

JRAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes I can’t understand what you are trying to say

JRAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no better fix than a full rip clean top to bottom, new water, clean sand no invasion

in two hours work you circumvent months or weeks of wait, looks for the tank you dont want

you aren’t required to do water only waiting. You have the option of fixed by nine pm tonite. We have a 36 page thread of it using a certain cleaning order, this separate one below has nice pics on the last page of a good clean and skip cycle rebuild.

all of the reefs cleaned there, skip cycle full cleans.

There isn’t a better fix for a nano, it reverse-ages them to cause a reef storm in just the right way. AmaleeC was resolved on the last page, she owns 3x that size tank and opted for the hard work now vs maybe something works by november option set

scan down this last page of rip cleans to see our most recent ulva invasion defeats, and new tank uglies defeats.

/?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jrad
your writing is unclear, didn’t make sense given the pages of work examples following the tank cleaning description

Last edited:

JRAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much means to pull the rocks out and scrub them and then run water thru the tank to clean the sand. Then add rocks back along with new water.
Thx -shamin!

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I bet a rip clean is coming up here, and this tank is perfect for it

quick results

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get to manual removal first no doubt! Best success stories all talk about the concentrated effort to remove manually as much as possible! Good luck! No doubt Green Hair Algae.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 152 43.6%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 123 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 53 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back