What type of algae is this

cgr124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, battling a new algae in my tank and trying to figure out what it is and how to stop it. It looks like a brown hair algae growing on my back glass. Tank is 2 years old and chemistry is good. No nitrates or phosphate. During Weekly water changes I wipe it off but it comes back a day or 2 later. My CUC are trochus and astrea snails but don’t seem to eat it. Anyone know what this is, how to get rid of it or what cuc would eat it? Thanks

IMG_4774.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello all, battling a new algae in my tank and trying to figure out what it is and how to stop it. It looks like a brown hair algae growing on my back glass. Tank is 2 years old and chemistry is good. No nitrates or phosphate. During Weekly water changes I wipe it off but it comes back a day or 2 later. My CUC are trochus and astrea snails but don’t seem to eat it. Anyone know what this is, how to get rid of it or what cuc would eat it? Thanks

IMG_4774.jpeg
Its green Hair Algae (GHA). Pull off as much as you can by hand and scrub and some 3% hydrogen peroxide to the water at 1.5ml per 10 gallons at night for 5 days.
Reduce white light intensity and number of hours of white lighting and add some snails such as :
Astrea
cerith
turbo grazer
trochus

A Pencil urchin

8-10 Caribbean blue leg hermits

Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet ?
What is your phosphate level?
Is tank at or near a window?

OP
OP
C

cgr124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I use RODI water. Although I have topped off with filtered tap a few times. I’ll try the lighting and peroxide. My phosphate is .5 and not near a window. I wasn’t sure it was GHA since it looks brown to me. Appreciate the advice and reply! I’ll pick up some hermits too.

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with all the advice you have received, but also FYI, typically high phosphates will make it grow fast. If you could target phosphates below. 0.1 that will help slow down the growth so that the CUC can stay on top of it. Nitrates above 50 also contribute to the fast growth, if you are testing for that.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 40 22.5%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back