What type of lights are over your reef??

What is your main source of light??

• T5

Votes: 56 16.2%
  • Metal Halide

Votes: 19 5.5%
  • LED

Votes: 195 56.4%
  • T5/LED Combo

Votes: 55 15.9%
  • T5/MH Combo

Votes: 16 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 1.4%

• Total voters

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading through a great thread on metal halides today it got me thinking, what is everyone running as their MAIN lighting source?

If you are running T5 with led suplement, your main source is T5. If LED with T5 suplement, your main source is LED and so on for the purposes of this thread.

Please answer the poll and take it one step further in the comments. Are you happy with what you are using for your main source of lighting? If not what are/would you consider changing to??

Looking forward to seeing the results!!

OP
OP
kschweer

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is lit with T5's. It would take a lot to get me to switch to anything else. I love the color, growth and look I get from them. No shadowing like leds. I am however considering MH for a frag tank I'm planning out.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a AquaticLife XS series LEDs and AquaticLife Quad T5HO on my 70G Artisan II. Been very happy with the look and the corals seem to be growing at a pretty good clip.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydra 52, going to supplement it with retrofit T5HO unit, only because I have a single fixture on a 45 gallon.

Love the lighting for the efficiency and the ability to run the tank without a chiller.

Metal halide will always be my preference, it's just the cost and the heat.

Boom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Vegas. Its 107 F outside today. My power bill was ridiculous while using one MH. It heated the room, the tank, the ballasts are hot and space hogs, and thus required a chiller (more space) just to keep tank at 80degrees.
I donated the light and two ballasts to my reef club three years ago. I just can't reconcile the costs and space required to run MH in NV.
With two HO and one normal output T5's, I only need a small Walmart fan to keep 80, only because the Sedra500 skimmer pump heats the tank, too.

mr fixit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessil a160 we had the mars aqua before the kessil witch worked great but the color and shimmer n growth with the kessil is a lot better I had a old odyssey 175 halide 20 k love the halide but the kessil is my favorite light so far im happy I go bare bottom with metal tape under the tank on the glass to keep fuge light out n helps reflect light under the rock n coral eliminates shadows a lot

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy with my Evergrow IT2040. Wouldn't mind a Hydra 26HD but it's awful hard to justify putting out the money for it when the existing light is doing a fine job.

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
Had to go "other" as I have a mixture of led and t5. Running dual kessil 160we, and dual t5ho, ati coral+ and ati blue+. Originally had 6xt5, but too much heat with hood. Now that I have open top and open back hood, looking to add another 2xt5ho. I really thought I'd be low on light since only have the 160s I pulled off my 29 cube, but everything is growing and happy.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 93 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back