What Would You Tell Your Past Self?

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
What’s up Reefers!
Ever have a moment of regret in reefing that you wish you could go back and prevent? What would you tell your past self if you had the chance?

For me, I would definitely tell myself to qt that fish that ended up with velvet. :grimacing-face:

And while you’re at it, check out the latest video, the March update on all five tanks! Happy Reefing!

LeDart

View Badges
Reaction score
I would tell myself that good, accurate, and precise testing equipment is a must have. I only just recently got the Hanna HI97115 multi parameter testing kit, and well, let's just say my I was astonished I had living acropora with my parameters.

Jim Gomoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Patience, lots of patience #1. Let tank cycle and not rush filling it with fish and corals. Too many deaths to count.
Don't skimp on test equipment.
Research - Fish and corals may look nice but are not compatible together and/or need specific care, spacing, etc.
Good equipment especially lights. Costly hobby where budget stuff isn't always the way to go.
Slow down, don't rush, relax and enjoying your creation watching it bloom into the beauty we grow in our home.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I would tell my past self to get a second powerhead. I had hair algae/cyano problems for forever until I put another powerhead on the other side of the tank. I thought it was my nutrients, but it turns out it was my low flow.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back