Whats my eel doing

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My eel is shaking its head side to side eat good and has been active any idea on what's going on.
Eels have a very advanced sense of smell and will shake their heads from side to side almost violently to smell for food. They'll pick up on a scent as they shake to decide which direction to look in and follow their nose.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My eel is shaking its head side to side eat good and has been active any idea on what's going on.
What type of eel?
How long have you had it?
How often does it do this?
How fast isn’t breathing (a video helps)

Eels will shake their heads when eating to help chew their food. Otherwise, it could be trying to dislodge parasites or detritus on its gills.
Jay

OP
OP
S

Sgiron28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eels have a very advanced sense of smell and will shake their heads from side to side almost violently to smell for food. They'll pick up on a scent as they shake to decide which direction to look in and follow their nose.
We got him from a reliable store amazing place he's or she is eating fine but this am I have not see it as active swimming like it's been but still eating and looks like it's breathing fine

OP
OP
S

Sgiron28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of eel?
How long have you had it?
How often does it do this?
How fast isn’t breathing (a video helps)

Eels will shake their heads when eating to help chew their food. Otherwise, it could be trying to dislodge parasites or detritus on its gills.
Jay
We got him from a reliable store amazing place he's or she is eating fine but this am I have not see it as active swimming like it's been but still eating and looks like it's breathing fine
We got it 2 days ago I thought I posted a video I guess it didn't attach how can I attach one

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got it 2 days ago I thought I posted a video I guess it didn't attach how can I attach one
Linking to a you tube video is easy to do for videos….
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

O.K. I see what you mean. The fish is breathing at about 60 gill beats per minutes, a bit fast for an eel. the 3 spot damsel may also be breathing a bit fast.

Does your water test out o.k, especially the ammonia level?

See the particles floating through the water? - if those get inhaled by the eel, it is going to shake its head to dislodge them. Still, I cannot rule out gill flukes in this case.

Jay

OP
OP
S

Sgiron28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O.K. I see what you mean. The fish is breathing at about 60 gill beats per minutes, a bit fast for an eel. the 3 spot damsel may also be breathing a bit fast.

Does your water test out o.k, especially the ammonia level?

See the particles floating through the water? - if those get inhaled by the eel, it is going to shake its head to dislodge them. Still, I cannot rule out gill flukes in this case.

Jay
We changed out the wave maker for a bigger one we tried out a smaller one but they didn't like it so went back to the big one they seem to like it better taking 10gallons out and changing the water the ammonia was a little high so going to get it down the partials where food other then that everything else is fine

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 36 15.2%
  • No

Votes: 175 73.8%
  • Unsure

Votes: 26 11.0%
Back