What's the best method and products to sand an acrylic tank to remove scratches?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Novus Acrylic Polish Set
Bad scratches will need to be buffed out using wet/dry sand paper, going down to 4000 or so, then the acrylic polish will be used to bring back the shine.

vladandlilith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I build custom acrylic tanks and I use Meguiars 1500 polish with an orbital polisher. They do not make that one any more, but I bought many cases of it when I found out that they were changing their product line. I believe the replacement for it is the M105 mirror glaze ultra cut compound. Go to an auto parts store that mixes automotive paint and ask what replaced the 1500. The 1500 in the name refers to the grit of the polishing agent. It is not intended for acrylic, but it work incredibility well. Good luck!

traumajeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for orbital sander. Wet sand, then polish as mentioned above. Be careful with deep scratches though... too much sanding can cause distortion

s2nhle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i used the novus (1, 2, and 3) acrylic polish set on my acrylic tank with minor scratches and they worked great.
Novus Acrylic Polish Set
Bad scratches will need to be buffed out using wet/dry sand paper, going down to 4000 or so, then the acrylic polish will be used to bring back the shine.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best range of abrasive for acrylic is Micro Mesh. Here is a link. https://micro-surface.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=15 They sold a hand kit to Lifeguard Aquatics years ago but a discussion with Micro0Surface should help you get current with their product line. Finishing with Finesse-it seems to work with a car buffer on low speed with a foam polishing pad. http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...Finesse-it-Polish?N=7581719+3294229088&rt=rud There are two products a Cut and rub that is tan and then the white as a finish.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 56 65.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.7%
Back