What's the best reef test kit out there?

duvareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys just wondering what brand you use to test your parameters?

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a red Sea pro kit for both alk/ca/mg and no3/po4. The Hanna checkers may be faster for nitrate/phosphates, the red sea takes 9 minutes for Nitrate and 6 for phosphates. The alk and calcium tests I can do in 5 minutes for both, and I like that they're cheap to refill. I've heard you have to use packets for the Hanna test kits which may be more expensive or annoying. The magnesium test is a bit obnoxious, but still only takes me 5 minutes. The low range phosphates is a bit hard to read between 0 and .04ppm (maybe there is a lower range version of that?)

I've only used red Sea pro, but I've been happy with the tests and will probably stick with them since the refills are cheap.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

alyee5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Red Sea for Ca and Mg
Hannah for Alk
Hannah ULR for Phosphate
Salifert for Nitrate
APEX for pH
API for ammonia and nitrite and nitrate and pH for QT

Very happy with Salifert and Hannah due to the easy and reproducibility,
Red Sea is a bit of a pain -- but I bought one of those micro magnetic stirrers so it's kinda fun to do now

I don't really take the measurements expecting accuracy to say a Triton test...just make it easy and repeatable and
let the tank tell you the rest...

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main idea in the article is finding the one that you will use and can get accurate results from.
I use all the major test kits on the market so that I can help people figure out what they are doing wrong when they perform a test. I also like to be able to cross check the results of the test I do.
Testing is a habit and its one you have to develop if you want to have control of your tank instead of having the tank control you. Many times I see hobbyist fight issues with their aquarium not knowing the cause. When with some testing they would gain a great resource of where there tank is and be able to act on it.
Salifert is the easiest kit to find in most LFS so learn how to use it properly and regularly. The hana Alk tester is one that I use everyday as testing for alk gives me insight as to what my SPS are doing. I track my parameters with a iPhone app called Aqua Calculator. I also send test's to Triton once every three months to make sure I am testing correctly and as a check on elements that there is not hobbyist test for.

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe what the authet is presenting is what works for me might not for you. If i gave a sample of my water to 5 people and my test kits, maybe 1 or 2 will end up with similiar results. Also half would say i dont like these test kits.There are many different perceptions on how to read them. An example is every once in awhile ill take a sample to the lfs and have them run a test. Ive watched as one person fills a syringe to the top of the plunger and the next to the bottom. All because the instructions say fill to plunger.

Maybe the question should be what test kits are you currently using? I personally use salifert for alk, cal, mag, nitrate. And seachem for po4
Ph i dont really check, i figure if alk is stable ph is not really a concern. Although I do have a seachem kit for ph .

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 61 39.4%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 80 51.6%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back