Whats wrong wiyh my foxface.

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ jay hemdal can you please take a look at my pics I have had this fish for over 2 years never had a problem 2 days ago I noticed this going on. (See pic below) is this the start of lateral head and line disease?
20201215_155622.jpg
20201215_155700.jpg
20201215_155703.jpg

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like of like an injury. Did you change the rock around? Add any new fish that may have spooked it? How long have you had the yellow tang? They can become bullies as they age. May be chasing it and it injured itself. Keep an eye out for redness.

OP
OP
Pistol Peet

Pistol Peet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over 2 years no new fish no rock moved. He is the biggest fish in the tank never seen any signs of aggression.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any new people come in the house lately or strange movement around the house? Cleaning, scary movies? Foxface tend to be very jumpy and nervous fish. He may have reacted to something (maybe you said boo) and hurt himself on rock. I have seen that happen. Otherwise, how large was he when you got him? Could be aging.

OP
OP
Pistol Peet

Pistol Peet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About half the size he is now he is on a 200gsllon tank I know I've seen them a lot bigger id say he is more than likely 3 years old with me owning him for 2 to 2 1/2

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ jay hemdal can you please take a look at my pics I have had this fish for over 2 years never had a problem 2 days ago I noticed this going on. (See pic below) is this the start of lateral head and line disease?
20201215_155622.jpg
20201215_155700.jpg
20201215_155703.jpg
Are the lesions only on the left side, or are there some on the right side as well? I ask because HLLE is almost always relatively symmetrical, left and right. Also, I can't recall seeing HLLE on a foxface before.

Something is also cooking at the trailing edge of its caudal fin - sure looks like bite marks. Fish can be pretty sly - while you are busy watching them for fighting, they are busy watching you and are on their best behavior. one trick that @vetteguy53081 suggests is to set up a phone and video the fish after you leave the room. Maybe throw a bit of food in the tank to stir things up right before you leave...

Did the spots start gradually, and grow in size over a week or more, or did they just appear over a day or two?

Jay

OP
OP
Pistol Peet

Pistol Peet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the lesions only on the left side, or are there some on the right side as well? I ask because HLLE is almost always relatively symmetrical, left and right. Also, I can't recall seeing HLLE on a foxface before.

Something is also cooking at the trailing edge of its caudal fin - sure looks like bite marks. Fish can be pretty sly - while you are busy watching them for fighting, they are busy watching you and are on their best behavior. one trick that @vetteguy53081 suggests is to set up a phone and video the fish after you leave the room. Maybe throw a bit of food in the tank to stir things up right before you leave...

Did the spots start gradually, and grow in size over a week or more, or did they just appear over a day or two?

Jay
A day or 2 and he does have some on both sides and his tail fin but worse on the side I photographed not perfectly symmetrical.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked online, no mention of foxface getting HLLE (and as I said, I've also never seen it myself).

I'm leaning towards an injury - like something caused it to wedge into some coral.

Jay

OP
OP
Pistol Peet

Pistol Peet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked online, no mention of foxface getting HLLE (and as I said, I've also never seen it myself).

I'm leaning towards an injury - like something caused it to wedge into some coral.

Jay
Ok Thank u very much should I be giving him something or a bath to prevent infections?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There really isn't anything you can add to your DT, can you move it to a treatment tank?
Jay

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had something very similar happen to my foxfaces years back, was a nasty bacterial infection that killed them in a matter of days, if it spreads I would def put them in quarantine, @Humblefish thoughts??

OP
OP
Pistol Peet

Pistol Peet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There really isn't anything you can add to your DT, can you move it to a treatment tank?
Jay
I have a emergency 55 gallon tank also 2 - 35 gallon totes that I use for TTM what would u recommend for the med product to use to make sure that there is no bacterial infection setting in.

OP
OP
Pistol Peet

Pistol Peet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had something very similar happen to my foxfaces years back, was a nasty bacterial infection that killed them in a matter of days, if it spreads I would def put them in quarantine, @Humblefish thoughts??
Thank you any thoughts on a product to use to keep the bacterial infection from setting in.

OP
OP
Pistol Peet

Pistol Peet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
Also special thanks to you for helping me and your time people like u make this hobby 100 times easier and better im very grateful for your help and support and advice. @Jay Hemdal your A ROCK STAR

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope foxy brown recovers. I have a foxface and there seems to be a few nicks in it once a week or so. It’s actually gotten better lately but the whole situation seems weird.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a emergency 55 gallon tank also 2 - 35 gallon totes that I use for TTM what would u recommend for the med product to use to make sure that there is no bacterial infection setting in.
A broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic would be the typical course of action. Kanaplex would be one choice, but Maracyn 2 might be easier to find in a local store.
Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back