When should I use my protein skimmer

THESTRZA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey there!!

Just transfered my 66 gallon reef into a waterbox 220 gallon system! I cleaned the sand pure and brought over 60 pounds of live rock over during the transfer. I only have 5 fish and feed one cube of mysis per day in the tank. My question is should I start skimming now, or wait a little (a week or so) for nutrients to increase. I have some pretty expensive coral and do not want to bottom out my nutrients!

Thanks for your input!!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can run it on a timer and only at night if you are worried about having too little nitrate. That way, it aerates the water at night.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can start it - and consider leaving off the cup - this will allow you to see how much nutrient is present - and also aerate the water. I do not see a protein skimmer as removing 'too much' nutrient either way.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 30.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back