When your reef tank gives you hope! So you're saying there's a chance?!

How quick do you go from hating your tank to loving it again?

• Quick depending on the turn of events

Votes: 187 73.9%
  • It takes some time to love again

Votes: 55 21.7%
  • The damage has been done

Votes: 11 4.3%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let's be honest. There have been times where most of us have considered tearing down our reef tank because of one issue or another. For me it's losing fish and having persistant algae. Who doesn't hate that stuff? But just as quick as you want to tear it all down something happens that makes you fall in love with your tank again! Let's talk about that today!

What is something that happens, within your tank, that keeps you coming back for more, that makes you happy?

ALGAE THERES A CHANCE.jpg

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The thing that makes me happy about my aquarium is the growth and thriving of the fish and corals. I buy things small so that I can enjoy the livestock as it grows into adulthood. I also buy things that I know are easy to keep. Low maintenance and low stress is a win/win for me.

I don't think I've ever really hated having a tank. Aquariums are a passion of mine and they've been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. My great grandfather bred and sold fish for a living and my parents always had an aquarium in the house while I was growing up...so aquarium keeping feels like it's in my blood. If things ever go bad (for example: when Lyngbya overtook my tank in 2 months) I simply tear the tank down and start over. If at first you don't succeed... :)

Last edited:

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals are growing & multiplying much quicker than I could "fathom" :D. The Indo coral ban has been a blessing in disguise in a way that nothing is moved around in the tank & old corals aren't jealous anymore of "no show" new arrival corals!

Uummm .... that is if I don't venture into Reef Raft store then I'm totally screwed!!

Last edited:

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Battling turf algae for months and thinking, maybe I should just break down the tank and say enough is enough. Then within a few weeks, algae is finally gone! Now I'm happy again. Not sure why the algae died off, but I'll take it and add some more coral.

Kimberely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Downsizing is what it took for me. I was struggling to keep up with maintenance on my six foot tank. I had to scrub the glass daily and it took days to make up enough RO for water changes. My nano only takes a few hours to make up RO and maybe 10 minutes to do a water change. And for whatever reason my nano takes forever to get enough film on the glass to be noticeable. I'm starting to enjoy reefing again.

Roosterjack

Struttin’ and Cluckin’
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the time it comes down to the realization that the mishap was my fault. Lack of testing, inappropriate choice of livestock, failure to research, etc.

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my frustrations come from only loosely grasping how it all works. I get frustrated when I just can’t figure out what I’m doing causing my coral to die off. The flip side is to see growth. Then you feel confident again.

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another one that always makes me smile. I have a 220g mixed reef, lots of fish, anemones, coral, various CUC. When my elderly mom comes to visit, she loves to sit in front of the tank and just stare at it. Her favorite thing: the snails!

It always wipes out any stress relative to whatever else may be going on with the tank.

Hogan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first glanced at the title, I thought it said, "So you're saying there's a chalice?!"

BLent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The algae. My wife loves to feed the tank. Fat and happy is her motto. Never ending algae for me. It goes away her and I are both happy again.

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never hate my tank, the whole reason I love the hobby is because of the difficulty level of the problems. Each problem is a new one to solve, and despite the fact that I've gotten mad at myself for creating problems that will take weeks (sometimes months) to solve, I've never taken it out in the tank.

If it weren't for new issues I, d likely have replaced all the walls in my house with fish tanks by now

JeepTj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it gets the best of me some weeks.. want to tear it down then realize money spent and the work to tear it down.. vs what I might get for it .. let alone someone that can actually haul a 6 foot tank ..lol so I just fix it, and go back to playing with my new puppy now.. haha

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 95 41.5%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 115 50.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.5%

Back