When your reef tank gives you hope! So you're saying there's a chance?!

How quick do you go from hating your tank to loving it again?

• Quick depending on the turn of events

Votes: 187 73.9%
  • It takes some time to love again

Votes: 55 21.7%
  • The damage has been done

Votes: 11 4.3%

• Total voters

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's be honest. There have been times where most of us have considered tearing down our reef tank because of one issue or another. For me it's losing fish and having persistant algae. Who doesn't hate that stuff? But just as quick as you want to tear it all down something happens that makes you fall in love with your tank again! Let's talk about that today!

What is something that happens, within your tank, that keeps you coming back for more, that makes you happy?

ALGAE THERES A CHANCE.jpg
I never blame my tank for my mistakes. My not always doing the right thing in regards to my tank is part of what drives me to improve.

MorReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few month ago I broke down and sold my 75gallon due to a move but also hating the tank because of my nems splitting too much and overtaking my corals til I had nothing but fish and nems. Now I have a 40g cube and in love all over again and planning a new large tank build. This hobby like the ocean ebbs and flows.

Rams54

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my tank. The fish and corals grow fast. Here's my problem, I have been thinking about throwing some corals out. My lfs(s) won't buy frags this time of year, any frags no matter what they are. The summer months, I hate my corals.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's be honest. There have been times where most of us have considered tearing down our reef tank because of one issue or another. For me it's losing fish and having persistant algae. Who doesn't hate that stuff? But just as quick as you want to tear it all down something happens that makes you fall in love with your tank again! Let's talk about that today!

What is something that happens, within your tank, that keeps you coming back for more, that makes you happy?

ALGAE THERES A CHANCE.jpg
I don't have a love hate relationship with my tank. I'm a lover not a fighter......Hahaha

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For me it's my thriving fish that caused me to bounce back from a total coral crash

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything makes me frustrated in this hobby. However, to the reef, I am their God. It's great to be a God. I understand that God is always frustrated with us humans but He doesn't give up on us, cuz if He did, we would be dead. Same thing applies to my reef and me. No matter how much this hobby hurts my heart, I will never give up and make the reef the most beautiful reef in existence because I am a God.

Just kidding. Sort of. My true answer is passion, contrary to how much stress it brings, it does bring peace, which is not that easy to get nowadays :(.

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be successful in this hobby you must have a positive attitude and the ability to want to learn. The people that complain about their tank, but then argue any advice given to them are the ones that quit and say this hobby sucks. If you are open to learning and are ok with doing some research and applying what you have learned you will be fine. Failure is ok. Failure makes you grow. These are necessary to expand your understanding of this hobby.

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be successful in this hobby you must have a positive attitude and the ability to want to learn. The people that complain about their tank, but then argue any advice given to them are the ones that quit and say this hobby sucks. If you are open to learning and are ok with doing some research and applying what you have learned you will be fine. Failure is ok. Failure makes you grow. These are necessary to expand your understanding of this hobby.
FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION.

Just kidding, I completely agree with this. The real joy comes in when you rebound from that failure and get successful results.

NC122606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, my freshwater tank.
Plants everywhere and I decided to change it up and remove the plants the have been bugging forever.
Ends up that the tank is much more better and I love it again!

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should add, “it’s a love/hate relationship” as an option.

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless I would never give up on my system through thick and thin. Spent all these years researching, test & trial to a current thriving system ... it would mean a personal defeat for me. In fact I lost a large staghorn colony for no apparent reason due to unexplained STN and now I've got this crazy plan to attach and grow other sps over the dead Staghorn colony instead.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only time I ever hated a tank was the day it sprung a significant leak. Chaos, salvage, utter despair. I don't have tanks anymore. It is a shame, but I am good with it. Decades of my life were associated with aquariums. I no longer have the desire to manage inner space.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 100 42.0%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 116 48.7%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.4%
Back