Where do you get your stuff in the area?

jhook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I’m new to saltwater, been doing freshwater for around 30 years or so. Where do ya’ll get your saltwater stuff around Huntsville? I’ve been to Aquatic Cove in Madison, but that’s about all I know around here.
I’m in the process of turning my 240 gallon freshwater tank into a Reef tank and I’m really excited to get started. Looking to do a mixed reef tank, lightly stocked with fish. I’m thinking of buying the dry live rock from BRS and making a few formations out of it for the corals and fish. Any advice on getting/buying actual live rock to get started with the seeding of my tank? Any tips or tricks are appreciated!

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you wanted real live rock you can order it from gulfliverock.com most people buy dead rock from like CaribSea and seed their tank with live bacteria. Welcome to the hobby. I'm in Birmingham so don't know all the cool places up there. It will probably take a while to cycle a 240gallon but thats a great size for a reef tank. Theres a bunch of cool reefers in Huntsville that will help you out and let me know if u need anything im not far away. If you're going to lightly stock your 240 i suggest fish that don't like to hide or you'll never see them in that thing. Enjoy!

HAWK44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m always down for trading or working a deal with corals, or helping another out. Prime example, I’m about to get a grade a rose bubble tip nem out of my DT and don’t know what to do with it. You may want to reach out to the infamous H@rry if you’re looking for any SPS corals in the area at killer prices. The cove is about all we have other than hobbyist. I’ve met quite a few cool people up here through the forum, all great people. I search that place from time to time and also go to Montgomery a lot, so I always stop in at Wet Pets and have gotten gems from Gordon there.

OP
OP
jhook

jhook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Crimson and Hawk. I figured that it’ll take a couple of months to cycle the tank. I’ve got a 40g breeder with 2 clownfish and a GTBA. I plan on moving most of the rock in there, but its a drop in the bucket for my DT. I’ll check out Gulfliverock.com for at least 1 chunk. I’ll ask again when I’m close to putting coral in my DT to see if anyone has some cool coral they are willing to sell.

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd give your tank at least 6 weeks to cycle before adding any livestock. When you think you're ready I have a lot of SPS frags at very reasonable prices. See my site: www.harrysfrags.com.

Good luck and keep us posted.

OP
OP
jhook

jhook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd give your tank at least 6 weeks to cycle before adding any livestock. When you think you're ready I have a lot of SPS frags at very reasonable prices. See my site: www.harrysfrags.com.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Awesome! Thanks for the reply. I'll definitely be looking you up in about 6 - 8 weeks or so. You've got some great looking Coral.

OP
OP
jhook

jhook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be ordering some real live rock straight from the gulf hopefully next week if you want to go in on it we can save some on shipping cost.
Hi! I’d be love to go in with you to get some live rock. After reading through your huge build post, which is amazing, I’m going to likely just be a hitchhiker on your order. But I’m up for going in with you.

Back