Where to find this fish for sale?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my carribean one next to a pictus. He only ever signaled once in the two years I had him and it was because he was mad the pictus blenny stole a mysis in front of his face.

For the most part he sits there with sail down and darts out to grab food. Kinda like a barnacle blenny.

Maybe they would signal if had multiple breeding ones.

AD4E14CB-6554-4CA0-B301-D9E5E0EAC76F.JPG

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found some more. It was rare for him to have the sail up. Like super rare. It’s also why he’s not as dark colored/black. He was on edge about something.

MVIMG_20200911_152904.jpg

D92B1699-CB4E-4EF3-A856-E8B1B0AC56E8.jpeg

naybedg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a picture of this fish online, its called a gulf signal blenny and found out people have kept it in their aquariums before. I need this fish it is beautiful. Its 2 inches long, reef safe, and absolutley stunning. Only problem is i dont know where to find it for sale online...
1629994867017.png
I found one for sale for $4,000 on reef pro

naybedg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a picture of this fish online, it’s called a gulf signal blenny and found out people have kept it in their aquariums before. I need this fish it is beautiful. It’s 2 inches long, reef safe, and absolutley stunning. Only problem is i dont know where to find it for sale online...
1629994867017.png
There is a gulf signal blenny for sale on Facebook market place, in Lake Forest California and it is in 77 degrees Fahrenheit

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a picture of this fish online, its called a gulf signal blenny and found out people have kept it in their aquariums before. I need this fish it is beautiful. Its 2 inches long, reef safe, and absolutley stunning. Only problem is i dont know where to find it for sale online...
1629994867017.png
I saw that picture a couple of years ago
And I’m still looking for one

AP Fishkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emblemaria hypacanthus is a Sea of Cortez endemic and is therefore only be available from Mexico. Sourcing this fish will be extremely difficult as aquarium fish collection from Mexico is sporadic and getting permits can be a challenge. This is unfortunate as when locals fish for aquarium fish, they don't take much. When governments ban aquarium fish fishing, the locals generally resort to food fish fishing to make a living, where they fish out literal tons of large fish to make the same amount of money they made taking a relatively small number of aquarium fish. If you are dedicated to finding this species, you might contact importers who have blue-spot jawfish, as these fish come from the same geographic area. (Though that doesn't necessarily translate to being found in the same habitat that the collectors work, nor does it mean the collectors will necessarily have the proper collection or export permits for both species.)

As some of the other posters have stated, you might have a relatively easier time (though not necessarily easy) sourcing similar species, Emblemaria pandionis or Emblemaria piratula, from Florida/Caribbean suppliers.

Keep in mind, a specific setup may be required to really get these fish to show off. If you are able to source the Sea of Cortez species, it may also do better in cooler water than most of the fish we tend to keep in reef aquariums.

Best of luck!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back