Which are best small schooling fish? Success?

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to know which are the best small schooling fishes? That don't kill each other like chromis.

Or

Has anyone kept multiple chromis successfully?

Eric Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can try some engineering gobies but they do get quite long.....

chromis is good but you need a relatively large tank for them to group together

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It can be done, but requires a pretty large tank for long term success. They will bully each other eventually, so they need the space to run when necessary.

I would like to know which are the best small schooling fishes? That don't kill each other like chromis.

What size tank? Bar gobies school well in midsized tanks. Mini dartfish are very cool in nanos since you can have a big school. Smaller cardinalfish like the orange lined will also be well suited to a midsized system.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be done, but requires a pretty large tank for long term success. They will bully each other eventually, so they need the space to run when necessary.

What size tank? Bar gobies school well in midsized tanks. Mini dartfish are very cool in nanos since you can have a big school. Smaller cardinalfish like the orange lined will also be well suited to a midsized system.
Which mini dart fish? Aren't dart gobies aggressive towards each other?

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Chromis is the only fish I've seen successfully schooled in captivity. As stated, it was in a very large tank, maybe 125g. It was also a larger school, like 12 or more.
Yes, the biggest thing with chromis (and most haremic and schooling fish) is quantity. There will always be a dominant that will pick on the others. The trick is to have enough to spread the aggression out enough that no particular one gets bullied to death. I see a lot of people try to school with 3 to 5 and that's (especially with chromis) going to lead to aggression. A school should typically be 10 or more to truly get the schooling action and keep them from killing each other.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jus saw Ailiops megastigma, i doubt they are easily available here in india.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the biggest thing with chromis (and most haremic and schooling fish) is quantity. There will always be a dominant that will pick on the others. The trick is to have enough to spread the aggression out enough that no particular one gets bullied to death. I see a lot of people try to school with 3 to 5 and that's (especially with chromis) going to lead to aggression. A school should typically be 10 or more to truly get the schooling action and keep them from killing each other.
Is there any difference in aggression between the green chromis and the blue/green chromis? Or can i mix them? In india green chromis are more cheaper.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Or

Pajama cardinals are colorful, interesting, school under right conditions, swim mid water and are generally very peaceful although they do establish a social hierarchy.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept groups of chromis without issue in 48" tanks.

I"ve found that high flow and frequent feedings help prevent aggression.

I would recommend against Ailiops mesostigma in the op"s tank. As mini dartfish are bite-sixed snacks for many fish. A. mesostigma also frequently need to be started off on live food.

Dartfish of the genus Pteleotris are social. Zebra, scissortail, and blue gudgeon gobies are good options.

Engineer gobies are social as juveniles, but as they get older, they seperate into prs, and will fight amongst themselves.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept groups of chromis without issue in 48" tanks.

I"ve found that high flow and frequent feedings help prevent aggression.

I would recommend against Ailiops mesostigma in the op"s tank. As mini dartfish are bite-sixed snacks for many fish. A. mesostigma also frequently need to be started off on live food.

Dartfish of the genus Pteleotris are social. Zebra, scissortail, and blue gudgeon gobies are good options.

Engineer gobies are social as juveniles, but as they get older, they seperate into prs, and will fight amongst themselves.
I doubt these are available in india

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out zebra dartfish. When I suggested the minis, it was based on you screen name saying nano before you posted your tank size.

They're very peaceful and actually do fairly well in a small group. Common and attractive in a group.

In terms of chromis' aggression based on type, the b-g and the blue reef chromis are pretty similar in temperament.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out zebra dartfish. When I suggested the minis, it was based on you screen name saying nano before you posted your tank size.

They're very peaceful and actually do fairly well in a small group. Common and attractive in a group.

In terms of chromis' aggression based on type, the b-g and the blue reef chromis are pretty similar in temperament.
Thanks bro. Yes iblive nano aquariums, but sice they are more diff to maintain, i had to go for bigger. :)

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had 3 chronic in my 150gal for just over a year no problems over than the occasional bullying but nothing bad

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back