Which Controller for Beginner?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I now use the Hydros. I have a lot of information on my setup with the Hydros on my guild thread here on R2R starting on page 7. To get to my build thread just click on my Build Thread Contributor banner and goto page 7. There are screenshots of input setups and output setups of several types. The firmware has change and zi changed things up when it did. I made post to the build thread when I did. I am very pleased with the Hydros system. I have 9 controllers in a collective which act like a single large controller. I have not had a single failure yet. I have been able to accomplish everything I have wanted it to do also. I think it is a very advanced controller, but like all controllers there will be a learning curve.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look at both apex and hydros and decide what you want your controller to do. I have an Apex (had it before hydros was a thing) but am considering adding some hydros stuff. They have some stuff to remove power supplies so you don't have 100 plugs and lets you connect a battery backup as well as ability to control pumps of various brands of pumps where-as apex supports mostly just apex stuff.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. They both have things they do well but both have different things one does that the other can not.

Also be sure to price it out. I am not sure if money in an object to you but Apex can be very expensive if you want to go all in and get Apex + a DOS + trident where hydros X10 + IV seems to be much cheaper. Ofc that isn't even out till 2023 but I feel like it is still something to think about. Maybe money is no object though.

Apex does have advanced coding type stuff which is nice.

It is a very personal decision imo but at the end of the day people successfully run either.

Last edited:

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look at both apex and hydros and decide what you want your controller to do. I have an Apex (had it before hydros was a thing) but am considering adding some hydros stuff. They have some stuff to remove power supplies so you don't have 100 plugs and lets you connect a battery backup as well as ability to control pumps of various brands of pumps where-as apex supports mostly just apex stuff.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. They both have things they do well but both have different things one does that the other can not.

Also be sure to price it out. I am not sure if money in an object to you but Apex can be very expensive if you want to go all in and get Apex + a DOS + trident where hydros X10 + IV seems to be much cheaper. Ofc that isn't even out till 2023 but I feel like it is still something to think about. Maybe money is no object though.

Apex does have advanced coding type stuff which is nice.

It is a very personal decision imo but at the end of the day people successfully run either.
The Hydros can do advanced things also but there is a learning curve as to how. There are several people out there that can help with the how. Also you can have more than one controller in a collective and once in the collective it acts as one large controller with all inputs and outputs. So when the new things you referenced do come out you can add them to your existing system. I currently have 9 of their controllers in a collective controlling my tank and my RODI. There are 5 controllers in the garage with my three storage tanks and the RODI. My ATO, AWC and dosing pumps are also in the garage. I have 4 controllers at the tank controlling the return pump, skimmer, heaters, cooling fans, the 2 MP10's, Refugium lights and the tank lighting.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 101 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.8%
Back