Which controller lite or elite?

Dashiki

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The controllers have my head spinning.

What is the difference between these two and would it make a noticeable difference on my tank?

94 gall mixed reef sps and lps

Big difference in price but I'm not sure what I'm paying for or if I need it.

I'm a newb to this stuff.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Digital aquatics?
The lite is limited to 4 attached devices? That is the real difference.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dashiki

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I had looked at that graph yesterday but it just gave me more questions than I had before.

Knowing only four devices is helpful thank you.

SteveT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well..."devices" can be deceiving... it can run 4 modules which can operate multiple things. A PC4 counts as 1 module but it controls power for 4 outlets. a SL1 also counts as 1 module but can operate a PH probe Temp probe ORP probe and 2 switches. a lite can run most tanks. the elite also has a much larger display which is much easier to navigate and allows for things like on board graphs. I have heard you can get more bang for your buck with an Apex controller but I have 2 lites and 1 elite on my tanks and I am happy with both.

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Elite and love it! I looked at the lites, and they work for some people, but it depends on how much control you want. If you need lots of power... chiller, lights, powerheads, and stuff then go with the Elite. I like the display better as well as the user interface. Just my .02.

OP
OP
D

Dashiki

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input.

Im thinking I will go with the lite and upgrade to the elite if I need the added control.

FiReBReTHa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where's option c for neither.

Check all the threads between apex and digital aquatics and apex wins every time. (I've seen)

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a RKE and RKL and wouldn't buy one again. If you're dead set on going with ReefKeeper get the Elite, but I'd definitely take a look at the Apex.

Cyber-Burn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see this posted all the time, but I would be really interested in what the "so much more" is?

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I see this posted all the time, but I would be really interested in what the "so much more" is?

Apex is the in controller right now.. It bounces back and forth every time one company releases something new, wait a month and there will be something else that's better or the in thing. Look at what you want and buy it, they are all fine. Whats also funny is it can very from message board to message board on which is better sometimes.

I bought the lite because I did not need everything and it saved me money and if I want the feature I can add it later.. Expandability and price is what was important when I made my choice. I usually run a lot of smaller or medium sized tanks instead of one large tank and I do not trust heaters and use controllers. Well most heat controllers like ranco cost almost as much as the lite and I get all the extra features.

Also you are right most will say one is better than the other but they do not say why.. Well most have not owned both so they really do not know.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dashiki

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lite seems to be a good starter controller and for 120$ it's a good value.

Not that I know too much yet but the price is hard to beat.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The customer support with Apex is excellent. I've heard (but not experienced) that the customer support with DA is lacking.

CJ

jaytizzle

Fish Pro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The customer support with Apex is excellent. I've heard (but not experienced) that the customer support with DA is lacking.

CJ
This...

And the fact that DA has yet to release modules as they say they will while Neptune is putting out stuff AND supporting it. If you're interested in the cheaper or lower-level controllers, look at the Apex Junior. Best bang for your buck. If you're looking at full fledged controllers, the Apex is the way to go. If you're baller status, no doubt Profilux is the answer but I know I don't have the scratch for that one.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This...

And the fact that DA has yet to release modules as they say they will while Neptune is putting out stuff AND supporting it. If you're interested in the cheaper or lower-level controllers, look at the Apex Junior. Best bang for your buck. If you're looking at full fledged controllers, the Apex is the way to go. If you're baller status, no doubt Profilux is the answer but I know I don't have the scratch for that one.

The apex JR does look good and lots of features, the problem I see with it is it has no head unit and you have to buy it separate which makes it not so cheap anymore. Still a nice unit and if you want more features than Da lite it is a good route.

Cyber-Burn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also you are right most will say one is better than the other but they do not say why.. Well most have not owned both so they really do not know.

I agree, it follows popular opinion on the forums. I see people who don't even have controllers reporting definetively which one is better.

I have the Reefkeeper Elite. I like the Expandability aspect, and have added modules as I have needed/wanted/afforded. The 2.0 firmware added many of the abilities that were lacking such as a default state for each outlet, naming, and remote control from the Net or from a computer attached to the bus and running MyReef for those without the Net and needing remote access. IMO that would be a short term thing, but that's just my opinion. I just added the MLC (moonlight) module last night and it took about 30 minutes. About 25 of which were mounting the module and the moonlights and cord cleanup. The programming took about a minute through MyReef and the other 2-3 minutes were to update the module to the latest firmware.

IMO pick the controller you like that has the features you want that you can afford. If your not happy with it, it will either not get used or get swapped out.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 52 20.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 191 73.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.6%
Back