Which light do I want?

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess this is kind of a pole? I am going to be hopefully buying a T5 fixture by the end of the month!!! I am curious to get some input as to which fixture I sould buy? I have a 55 gallon so its 48 inches long. I am thinking Tek, but I wanted to hear from others experiances.
Thanks

ReeferRob

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use retrofits, but most people in the know claim that Aquatinics makes the best T-5 fixtures available in the US.

OP
OP
ReeferRob

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why Aquactinics over the Tek? The Tek looks to be better construction.
I thought that T5 ran cooler so you didn't need a fan any ways. The Tek looks better too.

Zoanuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5 units do run cooler than any other light on the market but the heat buildup in the units cause the bulbs to lose effectiveness or par value up to 30%. So if you have the capabilities to cool tek units they will probably be the best bang for your buck. I have a few clip-on fans that cool my units seems to work well in keeping them cool. I hope!

d.grcich

Fat bottom girls
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Aquactinics T5's and they are very well constructed. 54 watt HO do get very hot to the touch but not near as hot as the MH bulbs. Definetly recomend a fan for bulb life and proper light par. Only thing I can say bad about Aquactinics is their customer service blows. I spent $500 on the last set up and it came with a bad fan. Over a month now and still no new fan sent yet.

OP
OP
ReeferRob

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ATI fixture looks to be the bomb but it isn't comeing out for a few more months in the USA, atleast thats what I had read.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why Aquactinics over the Tek? The Tek looks to be better construction.
I thought that T5 ran cooler so you didn't need a fan any ways. The Tek looks better too.

With T5s reflectors are a big deal, and the reflectors in the regular Tek fixture are not great. The reflectors on the Limited Edition Tek light are better. Also, like pointed out above, cooling the bulbs a little can increase output by quite a bit.

OP
OP
ReeferRob

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I notice my PC lights begin to loose spectrum after about five or six month, where they "say" their good for nine to twelve.
What can I expect from the T5 bulbs, with variation in manufacturer?
I also need some site help where I can compare prices and prods.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tek or aquatinics are fine... With the aquatinics only the solar flare is over driven... Worth it if you are going sps's other wise I would not over drive.
I have a tek and love it.

Dave

OP
OP
ReeferRob

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as SPS go, I only plan on doing some of the easier, less picky species. Like birdsnest and poccliopora (sp).
So good advice on that.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as SPS go, I only plan on doing some of the easier, less picky species. Like birdsnest and poccliopora (sp).
So good advice on that.

Don't overdrive then, even 4 HO bulbs with individual reflectors would be plenty in most instances with those SPS.

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got an aquatinics setup and they are very sturdy! I would get an aquatinics setup again if I had to buy another T5 setup, or just wait for reefgeek.com to get the ATI setups in stock.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have a good link with info on the ATI fixtures? I keep hearing about them but have yet to see any solid info or pics.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So good advice on that.

I agree with ike. Go with the tek or the tx5... those setup will also let you grow sps...

As far as ATI they are truely the holy grail of t-5 fixtures but are very expensive...

Dave

OP
OP
ReeferRob

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With T5s reflectors are a big deal, and the reflectors in the regular Tek fixture are not great. The reflectors on the Limited Edition Tek light are better. Also, like pointed out above, cooling the bulbs a little can increase output by quite a bit.

Where does one find the "limited edition" Tek light?

So is reefgeek.com the spot for lights?

OP
OP
ReeferRob

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone is so helpful and friendly on this site, unlike a few others I have been too, so would you guys help me in regards to suggestions on how to acclimate my corals once I make the new purchase please.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Where does one find the "limited edition" Tek light?

So is reefgeek.com the spot for lights?

Reefgeek is good, premium aquatics, thereefstop..

Reef geek has a good package wih lamps plus they sell the ati lamps...

Dave

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 93 41.9%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 111 50.0%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.2%
Back