OP
OP
WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've managed to remove pretty much all the sand. Made some little epoxy bases for new frags.
IMG_0760.JPG IMG_0761.JPG IMG_0762.JPG IMG_0763.JPG IMG_0764.JPG IMG_0765.JPG IMG_0766.JPG IMG_0767.JPG IMG_0768.JPG IMG_0769.JPG IMG_0770.JPG IMG_0771.JPG

IMG_0768.JPG

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now just the BuildMyLED fixture is all your running? Not sure how I feel about the Aquaforest products, they kind of scare me.

I think you'll like BB once the frags start spreading. You only have the wrasse and cherub angle? Heck if that the case you could probably cut out the skimmer.

Someone is going to be selling BTA's or giving them away in a couple months. :p

OP
OP
WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes BuildMyLED is it. I had great results with this light in past, I know it grows coral. Fishwise, also a tail spot blenny, and I think it's time to hand off my wrasse and cherub angel. I'd really like a small harem of skunk clowns for the nem garden....

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of a harem of skunk, sounds like a wonderful theme.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes BuildMyLED is it. I had great results with this light in past, I know it grows coral. Fishwise, also a tail spot blenny, and I think it's time to hand off my wrasse and cherub angel. I'd really like a small harem of skunk clowns for the nem garden....

Fully support this. If my 40 crashed thats absolutely how I'd restart it.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a journey with the tank. Looks like you have had a real time with it. I always keep my tank between 7 and 8. I have never found it helpful to run a higher dkh. Small tanks are a challenge. Water chemistry can go south fast in a small body of water.
I would stay with LPS and zoas with your current lighting

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read that high PAR doesn't allow for the purple coralline growth. Is what you are seeing purple?

I have a lot of light on my tanks, but things seem to grow well, although I have a dimmable ATI fixture set at 70% max that runs for 6 hours, reefbrite xho's (which are not running right now, I think I fried 'em, long story). I don't think that high PAR can kill, as corals can adjust to it over time, but BTA's can split due to high PAR, apparently to preserve themselves, OR I have heard they split due to health reasons. How are things now?

OP
OP
WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a journey with the tank. Looks like you have had a real time with it. I always keep my tank between 7 and 8. I have never found it helpful to run a higher dkh. Small tanks are a challenge. Water chemistry can go south fast in a small body of water.
I would stay with LPS and zoas with your current lighting

Yea, pretty much what I'm doing now with a 10 gal water change once a month.

I've read that high PAR doesn't allow for the purple coralline growth. Is what you are seeing purple?

I have a lot of light on my tanks, but things seem to grow well, although I have a dimmable ATI fixture set at 70% max that runs for 6 hours, reefbrite xho's (which are not running right now, I think I fried 'em, long story). I don't think that high PAR can kill, as corals can adjust to it over time, but BTA's can split due to high PAR, apparently to preserve themselves, OR I have heard they split due to health reasons. How are things now?

The coralline is growing fine now. I think last summer I was chasing false numbers with a bad Hanna Alk checker. Now its just water changes with Aquaforest salt and the tank is much better. Not to mention I put a Kessil H80 over my chaeto yesterday. I'm so psyched about this...

IMG_0857.JPG

OP
OP
WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been a whole lot of meh... since I moved up to Connecticut. I recently made a few hardware changes in hopes of getting this thing dialed in.
Additions and changes from the last few months:
Added a Kessil A360we, Tunze Comline 9000 skimmer, started Red Sea Reef Energy 2-part, and Red Sea Nopox. I'm now running my BuildMyLed up front as mostly actinic to supplement the A360we, which is also on the bluer side of the spectrum.

IMG_1215.JPG

IMG_1213.JPG

IMG_1214.JPG

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So tell me about the bad alk hanna checker? If you remember what values were you getting?
You weren't running any skimmer before?

You're as bad as me, got tank will run it with almost nothing in it!!!!!
I might, might look at Nopox as well. I have gotten along without for decades, but I am grasping at straws with my tank.

OP
OP
WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So tell me about the bad alk hanna checker? If you remember what values were you getting?
You weren't running any skimmer before?

You're as bad as me, got tank will run it with almost nothing in it!!!!!
I might, might look at Nopox as well. I have gotten along without for decades, but I am grasping at straws with my tank.

Hey C,

If I remember correctly, the bad Hanna meter was reading 5-7 dkh, however I am certain they were much higher being that I lost a lot of corals to alk burn. Yes, I had a Hydor Slim Skim Nano that never really pulled many organics.

For $700, I think this is the best solution. Comes with tank, stand, sump/skimmer/pump. https://www.amazon.com/Starfire-Aquariums-Complete-Package-24x24x20/dp/B00HY5PD56

Esage

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How many are you thinking

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear man, down to one clam now. Just lost the 12" squamosa that's been growing for years. A blue squamosa is all thats left man. Ive gotta do a tank thread on here soon. Sorry about the loss whiskey.

Cornbread7401

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank and I got the same skimmer I see how it's too shallow how did you fix it. Sorry I'm totally new so if you have time can you go in depth on how to set up the skimmer thanks

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 48 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back