White Face Butterflyfish

Camaronero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s good¡ I’m currently looking for a center piece fish for a future reef build and leaning towards a butterflyfish. Was investigating Prognathodes aculeatus and stumbled upon this Chaetodon mesoleucos... Anyone kept these before?
53CC83CD-55D4-4D75-9B9B-3E4C77AC37AE.jpeg

Also is a 81 gallon aquarium 35.43”x23.62”x22.44” enough to have ONE Prognathodes aculeatus OR Chaetodon mesoleucos since I see they don’t get over 4-5” in length¿¿
Let me know¡¡
Hope everyone who reads/responds has a great rest of the day!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s good¡ I’m currently looking for a center piece fish for a future reef build and leaning towards a butterflyfish. Was investigating Prognathodes aculeatus and stumbled upon this Chaetodon mesoleucos... Anyone kept these before?

Also is a 81 gallon aquarium 35.43”x23.62”x22.44” enough to have ONE Prognathodes aculeatus OR Chaetodon mesoleucos since I see they don’t get over 4-5” in length¿¿
Let me know¡¡

I had one, over 30 years ago. It was pretty hardy for a Bfly, but I don't recall what happened to it. I did need to treat it for Neobenedenia flukes though.

Jay

OP
OP
C

Camaronero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one, over 30 years ago. It was pretty hardy for a Bfly, but I don't recall what happened to it. I did need to treat it for Neobenedenia flukes though.

Jay
Thanks for the input¡ I’m curious to know where you got him from back then, also do you think you acquired him with the flukes already present or was it later¿

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input¡ I’m curious to know where you got him from back then, also do you think you acquired him with the flukes already present or was it later¿

I got it back before the Red Sea shut down due to political reasons, so that was the mid 1980's maybe? It came in with flukes, but a lot of fish pick up flukes when going through the the supply chain, they get it from wholesale systems.

I'm not sure how easy it will be to source these now. It seems, most Red Sea fish are going to Europe. A lot of them coming into the US go through Kenya for some reason, and they are typically just the same few species of fish; purple tang, sohals, semilavartus, etc.

Jay

OP
OP
C

Camaronero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it back before the Red Sea shut down due to political reasons, so that was the mid 1980's maybe? It came in with flukes, but a lot of fish pick up flukes when going through the the supply chain, they get it from wholesale systems.

I'm not sure how easy it will be to source these now. It seems, most Red Sea fish are going to Europe. A lot of them coming into the US go through Kenya for some reason, and they are typically just the same few species of fish; purple tang, sohals, semilavartus, etc.

Jay
I see. I’d love to learn more about sourcing fish¡ The Butterflyfish is likely rarely listed available on BlueZooAquatics since there’s little to no other vendors. Could you elaborate on the fish going to Europe¿ Like would one have to spend Iron-Butterflyfish money to get my hands on one OR would it just be a lot of investigating + luck to find one in the $200-300 range¿
Have a good afternoon¡

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. I’d love to learn more about sourcing fish¡ The Butterflyfish is likely rarely listed available on BlueZooAquatics since there’s little to no other vendors. Could you elaborate on the fish going to Europe¿ Like would one have to spend Iron-Butterflyfish money to get my hands on one OR would it just be a lot of investigating + luck to find one in the $200-300 range¿
Have a good afternoon¡

Sorry - I just don't have enough current market information to give you good advice on this. Iron butterflies, even in season are always so expensive, I would not expect a mesoleucos to be even a third that price.

The deal with most of these fish going to Europe has to do with proximity, and their supply chain there. Also, although this species has certain appeal, they can be considered rather "drab", so I think that most US importers just pass on them for more popular species.

Jay

hkmapear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Let me know¡¡
I tried to keep two before, but they refused to eat any food. I would say It’s difficult to keep these butterflyfish. Are you considering to keep other Butterflyfishes ? If yes, I can suggest a few them for you!

OP
OP
C

Camaronero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to keep two before, but they refused to eat any food. I would say It’s difficult to keep these butterflyfish. Are you considering to keep other Butterflyfishes ? If yes, I can suggest a few them for you!
Sorry for the late response¡ How long did you have them for, and where did you acquire them¿ Also curious if they were in a fowlr or reef?
And will gladly hear your suggestions¡

OP
OP
C

Camaronero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That fish's too subtle in color, it'll never sell!
I respect your opinion, everyone has different taste¡ I like really odd and uniquely colored fish and let’s see..... I guess it’s my luck that most of the fish I favorite need a whole mission to acquire while colorful fish like candy basslets or like gem fangs I feel are WAY easier to find and buy even though they’re 2-3x the price. Here’s another pic from but a German vendor; to each their own¡
B1CD5C71-C11E-4640-A81C-CA71EF8A6F2A.jpeg

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I respect your opinion, everyone has different taste¡ I like really odd and uniquely colored fish and let’s see..... I guess it’s my luck that most of the fish I favorite need a whole mission to acquire while colorful fish like candy basslets or like gem fangs I feel are WAY easier to find and buy even though they’re 2-3x the price. Here’s another pic from but a German vendor; to each their own¡
B1CD5C71-C11E-4640-A81C-CA71EF8A6F2A.jpeg
Oh no I love the fish I was joking that's what importers would say.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 38 27.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 66 48.2%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 13.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back