who else hates the use/cost of GFO types of media?

OP
OP
Key Largo

Key Largo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I will not claim to be an expert at all, have you considered (and I don't know what you are currently using), but maxing out your refugium's ability to remove nitrates and phosphates? Improving your grow light (refuge light source), increasing the time that the refuge is on, changing waterflow thru the fuge, and/or increasing the amount of algae in the refuge can have significant impact on the amount of phosphates within the tank.

I always look towards the direct relationship in how to remove a particular nutrient in a tank by the source that can remove it, and reducing the source that creates it. (Who doesn't, that comment is not that profound), but when our 90g tank's refuge is dialed in, it's amazing at removing phosphate without having to cover the expense of additional means such as a GFO media.
Thank you for your input. Yes I have used my fuge to max effect. I use a dedicated grow light and I grow two forms of macro. At one point I was pulling out a couple cup fulls every week. Now the growth of Cheato has slowed (the Ogo continues at a slower pace), which I attribute to the reduction of avaiable nutrients. But I seem to have reached a plateau in terms of phosphate removal. Not a stitch of algea in my DT.

OP
OP
Key Largo

Key Largo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your input. Yes I have used my fuge to max effect. I use a dedicated grow light and I grow two forms of macro. At one point I was pulling out a couple cup fulls every week. Now the growth of Cheato has slowed (the Ogo continues at a slower pace), which I attribute to the reduction of avaiable nutrients. But I seem to have reached a plateau in terms of phosphate removal. Not a stitch of algea in my DT

mcshams

Slave to my wife's reef desires
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your input. Yes I have used my fuge to max effect. I use a dedicated grow light and I grow two forms of macro. At one point I was pulling out a couple cup fulls every week. Now the growth of Cheato has slowed (the Ogo continues at a slower pace), which I attribute to the reduction of avaiable nutrients. But I seem to have reached a plateau in terms of phosphate removal. Not a stitch of algea in my DT
What water source do you use? LFS, or do you make your own salt water? I'm trying to trouble shoot your source of inorganic phosphates.

Typical sources. I pulled this from several internet sources trying to trouble shoot for you:
Salt mixture: rare, but some brands contain phosphates. Most don't, when I used to buy salt water I tested the water coming from my LFS.
Certain types of rock in your tank: Unfortunately some dead reef rock and coral based rock/crushed coral used in saltwater aquariums can have high levels of precipitated phosphates and act as slow-release phosphate reservoirs. Phosphates contained in these usually slowly dissolve into the water over time. Crush a tiny bit of rock up in water and test it if you suspect your rock is to blame. (copied almost directly from one website). I know this to be true based on some rock types.
Frozen foods and feeding: frozen foods especially have high levels of phosphates (which as added to preserve the food), flake foods contain some. All foods should be checked for phosphate content on the element make-up list where possible.

I don't know if I'm helping or not, but I am trying to source your phosphate so that you might find it and remove it with success. !

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
r2r-gif-welcome.gif

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 39 19.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back