who else hates the use/cost of GFO types of media?

Key Largo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, all. 135 gal mixed reef, 40 gal custom sump with Ogo/Cheato fuge section. 2 Radion G4 + 4 80watt T5's, 2 vortech powerheads, Vectra M1 main pump, Reef Octopus skimmer, GFO media reactor, floss mechanical. Kalkwasser along with dosing Mg and small amounts of two part solutions. 13 fish, 1 BCS, various crabs and snails.
Really dislike using GFO. although it works as advertised, it is exhuasted quickly. And, although I have tried to simplify the replenishment process, its still a messs to use. Then there is the cost. I dose NoPox daily, which works wonderfully for me as it relates to nitrates, but the phosphate claims-not so much. I have had varying degrees of sucsess using Lanthanum, and I have used it in various ways, but it seems it does not lend itself to everyday/week use to keep steady phosphate levels. I mean we are talking levels of .05 to .12 ppm on Hanna phosphorus tester. Not crazy values but have been having varied sucsess with Acros and would love to be able to see what I could do with levels below that without breaking the bank.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off welcome to Reef2Reef!

If you are having issues maintaining I would say to use something higher quality or higher capacity. I know you don't want to spend more money on a better GFO or more GFO, but it sounds like you're still spending quite a bit on other methods to reduce phosphates, so I would still advocate to go with high capacity.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!

Clownfish.gif

mcshams

Slave to my wife's reef desires
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I will not claim to be an expert at all, have you considered (and I don't know what you are currently using), but maxing out your refugium's ability to remove nitrates and phosphates? Improving your grow light (refuge light source), increasing the time that the refuge is on, changing waterflow thru the fuge, and/or increasing the amount of algae in the refuge can have significant impact on the amount of phosphates within the tank.

I always look towards the direct relationship in how to remove a particular nutrient in a tank by the source that can remove it, and reducing the source that creates it. (Who doesn't, that comment is not that profound), but when our 90g tank's refuge is dialed in, it's amazing at removing phosphate without having to cover the expense of additional means such as a GFO media.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d dump the GFO and switch to Lanthanum (SeaKlear). I drip a few drops into a 10 micron filter sock via an IV bag once a week. On a per dose basis it’s basically free. You can even dilute it and dose through a dosing pump into a filter sock if you want to make it really easy.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, all. 135 gal mixed reef, 40 gal custom sump with Ogo/Cheato fuge section. 2 Radion G4 + 4 80watt T5's, 2 vortech powerheads, Vectra M1 main pump, Reef Octopus skimmer, GFO media reactor, floss mechanical. Kalkwasser along with dosing Mg and small amounts of two part solutions. 13 fish, 1 BCS, various crabs and snails.
Really dislike using GFO. although it works as advertised, it is exhuasted quickly. And, although I have tried to simplify the replenishment process, its still a messs to use. Then there is the cost. I dose NoPox daily, which works wonderfully for me as it relates to nitrates, but the phosphate claims-not so much. I have had varying degrees of sucsess using Lanthanum, and I have used it in various ways, but it seems it does not lend itself to everyday/week use to keep steady phosphate levels. I mean we are talking levels of .05 to .12 ppm on Hanna phosphorus tester. Not crazy values but have been having varied sucsess with Acros and would love to be able to see what I could do with levels below that without breaking the bank.
LC is cheap and works amazingly well. Have to be careful not to overdose it is all.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For GFO to work it needs to be changed when spent, or it won’t be effective and you will have a constant battle. If used properly it cant not work

I change rowaphos every 2 and 4 weeks in my tanks depending on how much media I use, and phosphate stays locked down.

Welcome to R2R as well!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 72 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 67 28.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 50 21.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back