Who's NOT breeding clowns?

neuwave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been cool to see so many people breed clowns but it's seems like its getting a tad old. There are new varities coming out, with more white, less black, more black, onyx, platinum, Wyoming, ice, and so forth and so on. It seems like that all I see now a days. I was offered a pair or platiums and black ice the other day and turned them known, I know I'm crazy but I wanna see something new. I guess since I bred my first clowns back in 97 they seem old to me. I should of kept them cause I had one baby back then with a mis bar onyx. Gave it away and never thought about it as being rare. Guess that's the mind of a high school kid when there wasn't anything "designer" back then. Lol

Anyway who out has tried to breen anything else besides clowns? Maybe a flame angel, or any dwarf angel, or gobies, blennis, wrasses, filefish, puffers......anything.

Anyone? Please? :smile:

OP
OP
neuwave

neuwave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol thanks. My fault should have specified. I'm not looking to buy any fish or find a large whole sale fish breeder. Ha ha

I'm aware of a lot of wholesale breeders but haven't seen anything new. So this thread is more for New or uncommon fish bred species. A whole new adventure of fish being bred in captivity. Experiments and trials. The good and bad. That sort of thing.

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not breeding them but that's only because I can't get them to breed, lol. I was reading an article in coral magazine about breeding cross hatch triggers, that was pretty cool. I wish I had the space for that.

OP
OP
neuwave

neuwave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not breeding them but that's only because I can't get them to breed, lol. I was reading an article in coral magazine about breeding cross hatch triggers, that was pretty cool. I wish I had the space for that.

That's what I'm talking about! Hell YES! Breeding triggers would be awesome. Something other than a clown.

Don't get me wrong I love my clowns but I'd be more excited with something totally new.

OP
OP
neuwave

neuwave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant check em out to see what they've bred in captivity so far lol sorry.

It's cool. No worries. Last time I posted a thread like this one. People where telling me where to buy fish. So this time I was trying to word it different. Lol

Even so thanks. :xd:

dgiglio3087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the original poster, go out and do it! Breed something new. Those candy basslets are pretty sweet... Crosshatch's too, just be sure to come back and share your experience with everyone.

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not into breeding fish myself, but I have seen a thread on here by anemonekeeper who is working on breeding Mandarians, and I also saw another thread awhile back about another member that was working on breeding Royal Grammas if I remember correctly.

laskopyre

Chuck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquaculturing is the wave of the future. Every fish that is bred and sold, is one less fish taken from the ocean. Clownfish are the easiest to breed and raise. Dottybacks, gobies, assessors, seahorses, and cardinal fish are also being tank bred. Not as many people are doing these fish, but just having options is great. Every little bit of information passed on, helps the next breeder make a breakthrough. There are breeders in other countries tank breeding angels, batfish, and working on other fish. That is exciting to think of what will be available tank bred in a few years.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on breeding seahorses (erectus). I will also be working on cardinals in the not so distant future. I'm not sure how successful I will be, but I'm willing to try.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I myself am trying to raise mandarin dragonettes, so far I got them to the first larval stage, next I will be feeding the fry.

k2parkstar

Z&P Snob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dig this thread. I'm also interested in seeing anything new. Like everyone else, I love my clowns. I've got picasso and they are really cool, but i'd love to see some other stuff bred too. Can you imagine the fish you'd get if you could cross breed two fairy wrasse's?!

uall8up

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of breeding Dwarf Seahorses (Hippocampus zosterae).

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is a place a couple hrs from me that breeds many types of sw fish. last I knew he was working with shrimp and had a $400,000 grant from the government to breed hawiian flame angels. so there are more and more fish being captive bred and the govt is actually somewhat on board. there is hope

my clowns were laying eggs so like most I decided to give it a try.
it was cool to see them grow from almost nothing and to be able to say I did this. now the only way I could have broken even on what it cost me to raise a batch of clowns was if I was raising 100's of them, so this is the reason there are so many types of clowns.
out of the 35 I successfully raised 5 were dwarfs, the smallest one is still 3/4" and he was 3yo on march 9! I say he because it is paired with a 1 1/4" female from the same batch. I didnt keep breeding the parent clowns so I think my nano clowns will stay a 1 of a kind

I would never discourage anyone from breeding any fish they can, it is fun just dont expect to make any $$. but if your fish lay eggs try to raise them it is a great experience

and for those that say it didnt happen without pics, here are my 3yo dwarf clowns
IMG_3855.jpg

Last edited:

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquaculturing is the wave of the future. Every fish that is bred and sold, is one less fish taken from the ocean. Clownfish are the easiest to breed and raise. Dottybacks, gobies, assessors, seahorses, and cardinal fish are also being tank bred. Not as many people are doing these fish, but just having options is great. Every little bit of information passed on, helps the next breeder make a breakthrough. There are breeders in other countries tank breeding angels, batfish, and working on other fish. That is exciting to think of what will be available tank bred in a few years.
I agree 90%, cardinalfish are by far the easiest to breed, LOL. I cannot wait until the day whaen nothing is harvested from the ocean, and then maybe the hobby will not be blamed for the destruction of reefs. It makes me mad when uneducated people rant about how we destroy the reefs, when we are all working toward a solution, and have an appreciation for the animals in our care that others may never understand.

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to see more people breeding blennies. I love the Tail spot and it will be my next fish.

kmaintl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its been cool to see so many people breed clowns but it's seems like its getting a tad old. There are new varities coming out, with more white, less black, more black, onyx, platinum, wyoming, ice, and so forth and so on. It seems like that all i see now a days. I was offered a pair or platiums and black ice the other day and turned them known, i know i'm crazy but i wanna see something new. I guess since i bred my first clowns back in 97 they seem old to me. I should of kept them cause i had one baby back then with a mis bar onyx. Gave it away and never thought about it as being rare. Guess that's the mind of a high school kid when there wasn't anything "designer" back then. Lol

anyway who out has tried to breen anything else besides clowns? Maybe a flame angel, or any dwarf angel, or gobies, blennis, wrasses, filefish, puffers......anything.

Anyone? Please? :smile:

lol!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 33 26.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back